We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What was it?

:eek:

Have been out doing some gardening today and lifted something up to spot a long plain brown thing about 1' or so long wiggling frantically to and fro. It didn't stop moving and I nearly took off straight across the garden away from it when I spotted it:eek:_pale_.

Bad enough to spot slugs, but at least expected in a garden.

I've not seen anything like that before ever.

I managed to summon up courage and a gardening spade and scooped it up and tossed it as far away as I could.

Since then...I've googled "grass snake images" to see if that was what it was, but all those pictures seemed to have markings on them. This thing didn't. It was just plain brown and probably about 1" in circumference and kept twisting to and fro and to and fro some more frantically.

Does hope its not planning on heading back into my garden again......

I presume I should keep a spade to hand to belt it one with firmly if it does and that should deal with it?

Any ideas on what it was - and whether I can expect it to bring "friends" along with it....

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    grasssnake.jpg

Similar to this??
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Sounds like a slow worm to me - and I should warn you that if it was, then it's a protected species.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 28 July 2014 at 7:52PM
    Yes...that looks like it.

Yuk!

If its a protected species (oh boy = just what I need) then how can I best persuade it to move gently onwards as far away from my garden as possible? Maybe it headed towards my blinkin' garden because of my doing my best to discourage cats (I may just change my mind on that point if this is the result.....).
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    sloe worm ...........
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Two choices then is it? Make darn sure and certain the weeds are kept well under control in future or buy some K*t-I-K*t and leave it lying around....
  • Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Definitely positively identified as a slowworm then.

Lets hope it doesn't come visiting again.

I shall be exercising distinct caution after this whenever I remove weedproof membrane from anywhere in the garden in future just in case...
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Slow worms eat slugs...

My problem is keeping my cat away from them. She seems intent on "doubling" the population :eek:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Babafette
    Babafette Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Definitely positively identified as a slowworm then.

Lets hope it doesn't come visiting again.

I shall be exercising distinct caution after this whenever I remove weedproof membrane from anywhere in the garden in future just in case...
    Don't be scared of it, slow worms won't hurt you and they are a gardener's friend - they love slugs and snails! :D
    Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.... :/
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You were scared of it, yet you are threatening it with a spade? C'mon, show some love, kindness, and environmental responsibility! You were shouting about organic gardening not long ago, and having a slowworm would have most environmentalists jumping for joy, not reaching for a weapon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure