International freephone number

Options
On my TalkTalk landline account this International Freephone number has appeared twice: 0080044443400

There has not been a charge for these calls but neither I, nor my wife, have made them.

Where in the world were they to and how is it possible for my phone to do it by itself??

Comments

• gromitt_2
    gromitt_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the link, JJ. I'd already found that comment but it still doesn't answer my original questions.
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    Strange -an alarm, TV box or some other device calling home?

Turn everything off that it might be and turn back on 1 at a time until you find the culprit.

Odd there's not more on Google which makes me think it's not a real number and some sort of testing and since there's no charge people simply haven't bothered (and not noticed the extra 0.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jemma-T wrote: »
    ... the extra 0.
    Do you mean at the beginning, 00 800 ...?

It's the international equivalent of 0800 numbers, usually used by multinational organisations such as hotel groups and airlines, allowing callers in many countries to make toll-free calls.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As its free, call it and find out.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    As its free, call it and find out.

I called it out of curiousity and the call was answered by a modem. So the suggestion that it is some device calling home would appear to be a reasonable one.

Sky box perhaps?
  • gromitt_2
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for replying. I did the same as you, Roland but didn't realise it may have been a modem on the other end.

If it is my Sky box doing it, why now more than three years after it was fitted? The only other thing connected to my phone line is my fibre equipped modem. If it is either of these, why now and for what purpose?
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    Sky boxes phone back if you have multiroom, to prove that both boxes are in the same house. Also if you watch any box office stuff. Not sure what number they call on though. Have you recently take out multiroom?

What about security alarms? You may not realise but most of them are wired into the phone line and it may be making test calls.

The fibre modem won't be doing it.

Possibly whatever is doing it has always done so, but Talktalk have only recently started itemising calls to such numbers.
  • gromitt_2
    Options
    Hi, Roland thanks for your input. No, I do not have multiroom only Sky+ and the same box for over three years. Don't have security alarms either. These calls are timed between midnight and 1am on the same morning and we are definitely in bed by then and certainly not watching TV!!!
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Gromit,

Its very possible that its the sky box checking for any software updates. We used to see a lot of these types of queries with fully itemised bills.

Cheers

Mark
    Online Community Department
    TalkTalk
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure