Quote for a new boiler

Hi,

My boiler is around 27 years old and I am planning on getting it replaced. The current system is a boiler with a hot water tank and a tank in the loft.

I have received a quote from a local company in Epsom for £3600 inc VAT for:

drain down, disconnect and remove the existing boiler, hot water cylinder, mains water storage tank, feed and expansion tank, pump, motorised valve, programmer, room thermostat, and any other related pipework and controls.

new Worcester Bosch 29kw Greenstar compact combination boiler to be supplied and installed in the same location as the original boiler.

Supply and fit a new Worcester Bosch horizontal flue kit, and integral programmer and a wireless room thermostat.

connect existing flow, return and electrical supplies

Run new hot and cold supplies to the boiler from the kitchen sink

The system pipework will be converted to suit the new combination configuration.

run a new 22mm gas supply from the gas meter to the new boiler.

Run a condensate pipe from the new boiler to the internal kitchen sink trap.

The system will be gravity hot-flushed with a Fernox cleaner added, then re-filled with a Fernox inhibitor added for protection.

Does the above look reasonable? Will this boiler also be adequate for a 2 bedroom house with two bathrooms?

Thanks

Comments

• jayyar66
    jayyar66 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Given that the boiler will typically cost you around about £900, the quote does sound quite expensive. However, I haven't seen the job so can't say with any degree of certainty. I do have two concerns though . . .
    1. Gravity hot flushed? Is this just a posh way of saying chucking some cleaner in the system and then running it for a couple of hours before draining and rinsing? Manufacturers generally specify existing systems be power flushed prior to fitting a new boiler.
    2. If I've got my facts right, the boiler specified can supply approx 12 litres a minute of hot water. If both bathrooms are in use at the same time then I doubt the boiler could handle the demand, and would easily be overwhelmed.
    Hope this helps :-)
  • NVRAM
    NVRAM Posts: 298 Forumite
    get 2 more quotes mate, I paid less than that for a similar job but replaced all rads and added more
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Paid over a grand less than that better WB boiler and more work!
  • Just an update. Got quotes from couple more installers. One is a local chap and the other is a company which operates in the South East.

Both came in at ~£2700 and have include couple of TRV valves and a magna clean.
  • Plumber90
    Plumber90 Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have sent you a pm
  • BristolS
    BristolS Posts: 31 Forumite
    jayyar66 wrote: »
    1. Gravity hot flushed? Is this just a posh way of saying chucking some cleaner in the system and then running it for a couple of hours before draining and rinsing? Manufacturers generally specify existing systems be power flushed prior to fitting a new boiler.

They specify a system flush. The type of flush will depend on the installation and system condition
    You wouldnt powerflush if a new full heating system was fitted for example
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport