Difference between office space/retail

Options
Hi, quick question I hope you may be able to answer....

I've thought of a business idea, and it involves a number of people coming at prearranged times throughout the day (10/hr) prob.

Would I need office space or a shop? It doesn't need advertising as such so a high street location isn't critical but about 1000sq ft in a self contained unit would be ideal, but would the office owner object to having a thoroughfare of people?

Shop would work better but would be considerably more expensive!

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Comments

• hunnie
    hunnie Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, I suppose it depends on what is going on when these people come?
    regards
    Hunnie
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, quick question I hope you may be able to answer....

I've thought of a business idea, and it involves a number of people coming at prearranged times throughout the day (10/hr) prob.

Would I need office space or a shop? It doesn't need advertising as such so a high street location isn't critical but about 1000sq ft in a self contained unit would be ideal, but would the office owner object to having a thoroughfare of people?

Shop would work better but would be considerably more expensive!

Thanks in advance

Andrew

You just need space let the landlord decide what he calls it. Retial is a lot more expensive.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends what you are doing. A shop is primarily for selling goods, although retail properties are used as clinics (e.g. dentist, acupuncture, optician, physio, chiro ) hairdressers etc.

Your usage of any premises must comply with its planning consent which could be a deciding factor in what you are able to rent.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Light industrial unit?

Business park?

Have you looked at your local council's website to see if they have commercial property? Mine have some mixed use premises and subdivisions of larger properties.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 July 2014 at 4:40PM
    Options
    but would the office owner object to having a thoroughfare of people?

I have known office owners who have rented out a floor above their own office meaning that a front door and staircase was shared and they have given clear instructions to their letting agent as to the type of tenant they did not want such as no dentists because of the drilling noises and people with bleeding mouths etc.. Also, some owners might be concerned if it is a trade or professions which might attract the slightly undesirable clients/customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure