PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 25th July

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
:staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
"Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
Proud to have dealt with our debt :)

Comments

• jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning :)

Have been awake ages already as unable to sleep. So far have put the bread maker on, loaded the washing machine and had a lovely mug of coffee then researched home made dogfood / biscuits for our very fussy pooch.

It's a 'What to do with the kids day' today. I've got some arts and crafts and the paddling pool in mind and possibly a movie on Netflix. We're going to do chocolate dipped doughnuts today as well.

House wise, I want to clean the bathrooms but running low on energy so will see how that goes. I'm not cooking tonight as it's chip shop night. I may just opt for a salad though as my gallbladder is still grumbling and greasy foods set it off.

Time for another coffee before waking [STRIKE]grouch[/STRIKE] OH up :D He hates it when my lack of sleep disturbs him. I do sympathise really as when you're trying to sleep being disturbed is frustrating :o

Will pop back to read everyone's news. Have a good day though :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Good morning jlhmd666 and all who cross/follow :)

Am really having trouble sleeping in this heat and struggling to get going this morning. In work half day then back to chiropractor with DD this afternoon.

Bin day today so tried to get a bit motivated last night and challenged myself to declutter enough junk to fill the bin. Almost managed it but got very hot and sweaty in the process. Sorry TMI!

Thank you again for the support, it really means more than you will know and takes the pressure off DH, who is normally the only person I talk to about my illness.

Well wishes for all sick people and pets and hugs for those that need or just want them. Keep well and safe and have a super day.

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs and get well wishes to those that want/need them.

Sky is overcast and quite a breeze, not so humid, but still forecast to be hot. Will water plants and greenhouse shortly. Washing will go on the line shortly.

DH and DS1 up and gone to work stupid early.

Dinner last night was beef casserole, dumplings (for the menfolk), LO yorkshires, mash, carrots, HG green beans, and peas – was delicious, clean plates all round. DH said I was daft to do such a big meal in the heat – but I gently reminded him that the slow cooker just plugs into the electric socket and stands on the worktop, whereas the main oven kicks out a huge amount of heat for a much longer time when cooking a casserole. Dinner tonight will be an easy dinner, something with chips, possibly chicken and ham kievs for the menfolk, mine will be mushroom omelette and salad.

Was reasonably productive yesterday – even though it was really hot again yesterday, I went to the SM early and then got back and tackled the ironing, did it before it got too hot, but I was rather warm after I’d got it done. I then managed to strip all the beds – got everything washed and line dried. Then did a quick round of hovering and housework.

Today I will be heading to town, the bank, DS1’s bank, jewellers, food shopping, posting nephews birthday gift, and there’s a few other items on the “to do” list. Will work my way through them steadily. Really need to do some baking/cooking today, I spent some time yesterday checking the storecupboard and have 4 items on the list to make, which will put something in the tins, for pack ups and desserts for the next few days. If I don’t’ get that done today, I can do that tomorrow morning as DH and DS1 are working. We’ll be chilling and just have a couple of jobs to do taking/bringing bits back from the caravan – ready for next weekend and then we go on our hols the following week – can’t wait – really starting to feel the need for some time off.

Have a great Friday everyone x

Take care in the sun and warm weather, remember the sunscreen x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Was awake very early this morning before 5, I think I slept so well that I had enough sleep and was wide awake ! Sitting here with a cuppa and it looks to be another scorcher, off to work today for dd and I, yesterday it was very busy as its the start of the summer holidays.

Not sure about dinner it will either be hot dogs or pasta depends what we feel like.

Will do a wash tonight and get it on the line, and have a quick tidy round.

Have a good day, and please make sure there is some water out for the birds / wildlife xx
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    edited 25 July 2014 at 7:21AM
    Options
    Morning all :hello: - thanks for starting the new thread, TTFTM :).

We're all set for another HS2046520bongf60r7k.gif day here. Just wish that I could 'take a day out' to relax and enjoy it properly. The poor garden is absolutely crying out for attention, but it's going to be Monday at the earliest before I can 'earmark a day' to dedicate to doing it.

TTFTM - omg! where on earth did you find the energy to do some decluttering yesterday .................. was taking me all my time to just breathe - well done you :T! I've been in the flat for over 18mths and I'm STILL closing the spare bedroom door on 'boxes of stuff' that I can't find places to stash :o. I've got FOUR sets of bookshelves - plus another one waiting to be assembled - even more in boxes. OH bought me a Kindle in an attempt to get me to 'reduce my obsession' with buying 2nd-hand books - I've got 300+ on THAT - all free ones from Amazon! What did I go and do yesterday in that darned CS - I bought four 'People's Friend Annuals' for my Mum in hospital then spotted another three books that I liked the look of - and so it begins, all over again ........ :eek:. He doesn't know about these yet - maybe slide them under my corner of the bed for now smiley-rolleyes008.gif.

jlhmd666 - sorry to hear that your g/bladder is still giving you some jip. Good luck with your willpower over the 'chippy tea' - I doubt if I could hold out in the circumstances .................. :(. I know it's nothing to do with OS - but thought this might give you a bit of a giggle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOsYykqvghY.

nmlc - sounds like you've got a busy, busy day/weekend ahead for you and the family :D. You'll deserve that holiday once you get away. I l-o-v-e caravan holidays - the freedom PLUS the privacy is just perfect.

redruby - looks like I cross posted with you - have a good day in work and hope that today is quieter for you and your dd.

Plans for today include
    • Hairdresser due 8.30am -9.00am to improve on my 'shaggy dog' image. This is a few weeks overdue - she's been away on holiday - so I'm :j to see her as my hair gets very thick/sweaty at this time of year :(.
    • Have a lovely shower and get ready.
    • Trip to hospital to see Mum - need to set out early as 'The Giants' start their tour of Liverpool today. There's 1,000's of extra visitors expected, so there's be closed off roads / cramped public transport / traffic jams etc :(. It'll be like this up to and including Sunday :eek:.
    • whoopsied 'Peppered Beef Salad' for evening meal tonight - I'll do a couple of HB eggs before I go out and leave them in their shells in the fridge - it'll save faffing around when I get back home.

Hope everybody manages to stay safe and cool as possible today - have a good day all

cheers for now - Lilyplonk xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning chums fell quite refreshed after a reasonably early night .London is a great city (my home town) but I was glad to be home in my little corner of Kent :) and away from all the noise and traffic from my day out
    Looking after the boys this morning then the eldest Ben will take over for a couple of hours this afternoon as its last day of History club until September.We are learning about the Soviet Union this afternoon.

Only three more weeks unti a glorious fortnight at Freshwater on the Isle of Wight.Relaxing and hopefully enjoying some sun and seaside air with my lovely family.
    Hope you all have a great day, looks like its going to be another warm one
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Only two weeks until we go on holiday :j

Currently sitting in the garden with a mug of coffee watching the birds eat the food we put out for them :)

Was thinking what to do with the left over cheesy mash in the fridge and thought about tuna fishcakes but does anyone know at what stage I should freeze them please?
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Washing on the line & another load in, fish fed, hubby & I have a cuppa.
    I've listed all the jobs I need to get done this holiday on my blog, I'm aiming to do one big job & one small job a day at the very least. This time lat year I was in hospital & unwell for 8-10 weeks afterwards so I didn't get anything done then.
    It's so lovely to be able to fit in with hubby's shifts with out ending up exhausted & to see more of him, we sat in the garden chatting til 11 last night.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,047 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone. Another glorious morning here. Had the windows wide open all night. I'm so glad I took dome time off work this week as the weather has been exceptionally lovely. Far too hot to do much more than sit and enjoy it. Forecast for west coast is rain for the weekend so today I'll make the most of it.

Yesterday was spent having TV set up sorted out, new bits on Freesat dish and a new Freeview aerial put in as a back up. Blokes were really good, pleasant and professional.

I had planned to give my outdoor furniture another coating of Danish oil but that plan was scuppered by the farmer and assorted others bringing in the hay. Having four tractors trundle backwards and forwards carrying those big round bundles of hay for most of the day created a load of dust in the air so I didn't bother with the oil. So, today is the day for it.

Must ring nPower to get Economy 7 removed from our supply as we've taken out the storage heaters - so old and inefficient and expensive to run.

Didn't cook any hot food yesterday and think that today will be the same. Got some lovely soft cold drinks in the fridge, lots of fruit and cold meats to all eat up.

Watched too much of the Commonwealth Games last night and thoroughly enjoyed the swimming and judo.

Right folks, need to jump in the shower and start my day.

Hope all goes well for everyone today. Happy Friday.
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    edited 25 July 2014 at 11:20AM
    Options
    Good morning MSE
    Just watching = The allotment challenge.
    Lots of talk about radishes, we do not grow those.
    Ah! sweet pea's now. we had a beautiful display of those - till Oh stopped watering them.saying rainwater was enough! The flowers were dying when i noticed. May be they will recover?

Other jobs - I put the washer on. Washed breakfast dishes.
    Brushed up the lavender flower bits that had dropped on floor from the little bunch I had hanging in the bathroom.

Opened all windows and back door. Put chillow pillow back in fridge.

Yesterday our adult DD bought Queen bee/dog a paddling pool as she loves water. Had great fun for a few hours. Then when no one was watching ripped it up ;(.

Spent some time yesterday commenting on Flash for the savvy trial.
    Entered a comp email from the bank.

i have not got any plans for the day, just onwards.

OS - got stung by a busy bee! dabbed on white vinegar. Brilliant for taking the hurt away.
    council have just been doing something to the drains right outside our house. - lit a candle to get rid of the smell.

Kindness - gave a neighbour x4 large tomatoes from our greenhouse.

visitors came for a chat and tea/coffee :0)
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure