Help - retriever refusing to get out of water!

Options
as title says, my 9 year old retriever was basking in the river on Sunday morning for 35 minutes fetching stones and swimming. Then last night, he refused to come out, and when I did get him on the lead, he slipped it back over his head and headed back to the water.

He refused point blank to come when I called him. Eventually a fellow dog walker lured him out and grabbed him, and I got him home. He's usually ok at coming back when we're out walking (well, as ok as retrievers can be). Any suggestions for how I start to retrain him quickly? ps OH is currently away, so not sure if dog showing off/sulking/missing him.
Bern :j

Comments

• dandelionclock30
    Options
    Just keep him on the lead near rivers and ponds and/or walk him somewhere else.
    You were lucky that other dog owner helped you. It could have been dangerous if you were trying to get him out by youself, you could have got into difficulty.
    Dont put yourself and others at risk.
  • RedBern
    RedBern Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. It's not a deep or dangerous area and borders on the meadow where we regularly walk. It's just about deep enough for him to swim in.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could use a harness and longline, perhaps. You can give him just enough room to paddle, and take some high value rewards to give him when he recalls to you. Once he's doing that, you can give him a bit more slack on the line. If he does fail to recall, you can gently pull him back towards you, out of the water.
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is he hot? As a retriever, he'll be fond of the water anyway, but perhaps in the heat the water was the place he felt comfortable in, hence him disobeying rules he normally follows. I wouldn't like to be in a fur coat, charging up and down a field after stones in this weather.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • RedBern
    RedBern Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    Options
    possibly - but having got himself thoroughly soaked I'd hoped he'd come out - he was in there 40+ minutes!! He was picking up stones from the water - we were throwing them to try to get him nearer to the bank - not to entertain him. I did try walking away so he'd follow but he really wasn't having any of it!
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My thoughts were that maybe he was hot and the only place he felt comfortable was in the cool water. What time was it? I walked my dog last night at 9.30pm but he was still struggling a bit with the heat so we didn't stay out long. My dog is only young but has a thick long coat so doesn't like the heat at all
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    Options
    Please be careful RedBern. My dog Lucy has been horribly ill after going in a river and drinking from it. I thought I was going to lose her but thankfully she's a bit better now.

A lot of rivers and streams have blue-green algae in them which is toxic to dogs and can even be fatal.

My dogs definitely won't be going in any more rivers, that's for sure!
  • happysaz133
    happysaz133 Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 July 2014 at 11:17AM
    Options
    A harness and long line would be a good option, gives you a bit more control over him.

I can understand why he wants to be in though. I'm not sure where you live but in north west Scotland its roasting and my three want to be in all the time splashing to keep cool. Have you thought of getting him a paddling pool for the garden, with some toys in? Mine have one and adore it!
    14196119687_4d7ef119e0_z.jpgDSC_0083 by Niseag, on Flickr
    I just enter and forget...hoping to win something! :)
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    Options
    A harness and long line would be a good option, gives you a bit more control over him.

I can understand why he wants to be in though. I'm not sure where you live but in north west Scotland its roasting and my three want to be in all the time splashing to keep cool. Have you thought of getting him a paddling pool for the garden, with some toys in? Mine have one and adore it!
    14196119687_4d7ef119e0_z.jpgDSC_0083 by Niseag, on Flickr

Brilliant idea happysaz!
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I ordered a garden hose - I do not have a garden, I live in a flat BUT will hose Zara down. via my window.. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure