PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In dire need of help... or a kick up the bum

Options

Comments

• Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Hi
    What sort of thing are you buying then ?

As you say you're doing weight watchers I wonder whether you're buying things like packs of chicken breasts ? Things like that always work out expensive so maybe you need to think about ww friendly recipes that use cheaper ingredients ?

I haven't got my shopping list from last week - usually though if I have to buy chicken I will get the Frozen chicken breasts from Mr T's, Same as mince, I buy the offer and freeze it.

A lot of what i'm buying is just rubbish (Not junk food) but stuff that i'm wasting at the end of the week.

I'm eating out of the freezer this week so will let you know what it is I am buying and what I waste next week
    JackieO wrote: »
    Re your yoghurt breakfast I buy a large pot of value low fat yoghurt (about 45p) and its in the fridge.If I want it as a dessert then I will add chopped up fruit to it, or I use it in cooking ,curries etc.Mueller yoghurt with the corners are just too darned expensive I have several small empty yoghurt pots.so I know what 125 gms look like when I am dishing it up (roughly two tablespoonsful)You can mix any fresh fruoit chopped up in it Last night I had some diced up grapes mixed into a small pot as a snack when I came home from the local pub quiz.But I have also chucked a spoonful of honey and some sultanas in a potful or virtually any fruit you like.A small satsume/clematine (YS of course) peeled and diced gives you a lovely orange yoghurt.Why spend £3.00 plus for 8 fruity yoghurts when 45p and a search in the cupboards will do the same thing :):):)
    If you want a bit of 'crunch ' add a small handful of scruched up corn/bran flakes along with the fruit, or even a small bit of weetabix crumbled up.I also use the small empty yoghurt pots when I make up a jelly for a measure.In the supermarkets jelly is sold at silly prices made up into small pots with bits of fruit in it .You can buy a hartleys jelly for about 50p and make lots of it up with a pint of water.If you haven't got any empty pots just use a cup/mug you can leave it in the fridge and snack on it if your feeling peckish (good for W'watching instead of expensive WW biscuits or treats.WW is in the business to make money I try to replicate what they sell by a bit DIY cooking .Cheaper than their stuff thats for sure.:):):)
    I also only ever use cash for shopping and steer clear of shopping as much as I can.Just sto going so often and make sure you stick to a list Try the Fiscal Frugal forum bit on here for more ideas.I have only been to the shops once this month so far.True I live alone but once you get into the mindeset of not frittering cash away its suprising how easy it is to hang onto your pennies I save my left over loot in a 'holiday fund tin' for the family holidays and treats for my grandchildren :):):) come over to the 'dark side ' and join us there we are quite a matey bunch :):):)
    Cheers JackieO xxx

I tried buying bulk yogurts (The big tubs of natural stuff) but it ends up getting thrown. Havent bought the yogurts whilst they weren't on offer so will review this
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    ........... usually though if I have to buy chicken I will get the Frozen chicken breasts from Mr T's, Same as mince, I buy the offer and freeze it ...............

Have you thought about using Turkey Breast Steaks - you can get 'Basics/Essentials/SmartPrice' versions of these which are great for using as whole pieces OR to cut up into strips.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I tried buying bulk yogurts (The big tubs of natural stuff) but it ends up getting thrown. Havent bought the yogurts whilst they weren't on offer so will review this

Maybe you are taking the "use by date" too seriously? I have an open tub of yoghurt in my fridge for 2-3 weeks at a time sometimes, well past the date. Its also quite easy and presumably cheaper to make your own natural yoghurt
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • AliBee16
    AliBee16 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been pretty good/frugal for the last couple of years, but have started following a calorie control diet for the last two weeks and seem to be spending a fortune suddenly. Low calorie food, snacks and particularly meat is much more expensive and I wonder if this is why you are also spending a lot. I am happy to do this till I find my feet but will definitely be looking for ways to eat healthily and cheaply, so will be interested in your solution. Good luck, you will get there :)
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    My shopping DID used to be around £30 but that was AGES ago.

This week, as mentioned I am trying to eat from the freezer, stick to my diet and not eat the same thing in consecutive days...

This is my plan so far:

Thursday:
    Breakfast: - Yogurt
    Lunch: Spag Bol (Left overs)
    Dinner: Chilli Fried Rice with Chicken and Prawns

Friday:
    Breakfast: Yogurt
    Lunch: Sausage Rolls and Salad

Dinner: Pizza

Saturday:
    Lunch: Chilli Fried Rice with Chicken and Prawns
    Dinner: BBQ - Chicken pieces, burgers, corn, salad

Sunday
    Lunch: BBQ Chicken leftovers
    Dinner: Pie & Mash

Monday:
    Lunch: Sausage Rolls and Salad
    Dinner: Chinese Stir Fried Pork Mince with beans

Tuesday:
    Lunch: Pie & Mash
    Dinner: Cod with Orange and Parsley Cous Cous

Wednesday:
    Lunch: Chinese Stir Fried Pork Mince with beans
    Dinner: Chicken and Mushroom pie

Thursday:
    Lunch: Cod with Orange and Parsley Cous Cous
    Dinner ????????????????????

Thursday is shop day so its not a disaster that I don't have anything planned for dinner that day

So far my shopping list looks v. minimal (Used a lot of stuff from the freezer)

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You say you've started taking your mum shopping on a Monday and that you do your shop on a Thursday. I presume that when you take your mum, you buy other bits and pieces then?

If that's the case, why not do your own shopping at the same time as your mum?

Re yoghurts, I was going to suggest what Jackie does. Either buy a large pot of plain yoghurt or make your own. Then add fruit. Those Muller yoghurts (and all the other lowfat yoghurts) are stuffed full of sugar. Not great if you're watching your weight and not very healthy.

Have you gone through your receipts and worked out how much exactly is spent on food, and how much on other household stuff? I've found that it's often the other stuff (loo rolls, washing powder etc) that bumps up the cost. Try to buy those things when on offer. Eg, we use Cushelle loo roll and Plenty kitchen towel. Lidl have these on offer about every 6 weeks, so I make sure I buy enough to last until the next offer is on.
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Mimi_Arc_en_ciel Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 July 2014 at 11:15AM
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    You say you've started taking your mum shopping on a Monday and that you do your shop on a Thursday. I presume that when you take your mum, you buy other bits and pieces then? Yup! although I'm going to start having a "budget" - so if I say £50, and I spend £30 on a Thursday, I could always take the £20 with me on a Monday for essentials

If that's the case, why not do your own shopping at the same time as your mum?

Because she HAS to shop in Morrisons for some reason... which I find expensive for what we buy

Re yoghurts, I was going to suggest what Jackie does. Either buy a large pot of plain yoghurt or make your own. Then add fruit. Those Muller yoghurts (and all the other lowfat yoghurts) are stuffed full of sugar. Not great if you're watching your weight and not very healthy.

Have you gone through your receipts and worked out how much exactly is spent on food, and how much on other household stuff? No, I class it all "together" I've found that it's often the other stuff (loo rolls, washing powder etc) that bumps up the cost. Try to buy those things when on offer. Eg, we use Cushelle loo roll and Plenty kitchen towel. Lidl have these on offer about every 6 weeks, so I make sure I buy enough to last until the next offer is on. We buy Loo roll from Home Bargains, and Tesco kitchen roll

So my menu is above, this is what I've bought.....

1Tesco Everyday Value Fromage Frais Strawberry 6*55G£0.42
    2Tesco Everyday Value 10 Fish Fingers 250G£1.20
    1Tesco Broccoli & Cauliflower Floret Mix 900G£1.00
    1Tesco Everyday Value Garden Peas 1Kg£0.98
    1Walls 12 Thick Pork Sausages 500G£1.50
    1Tesco Everyday Value Vegetable Stock Cubes 100G 10Pk£0.20
    1Tesco Root Ginger Loose£0.271Tesco Bunched Spring Onions 100G£0.49
    1 6 Pack White Finger Rolls£0.65
    1 6 Pack Seeded Burger Buns£0.65
    1Tesco Mixed Chillies 65G£0.60
    1Tesco Everyday Value Mixed Vegetables 1.3Kg£1.00
    1Barny Chocolate Kids Sponge Bear 5 Pack 150G£1.00
    1Tesco Everyday Value Mushrooms 600G£1.00
    1Mr Freeze Freeze Pops 20X45ml£1.00
    1Tesco Loves Baby U/Soft Fragrance Free Wipes 64 Pack£1.00
    1Jus-Rol Light Puff Pastry Sheet 320G£1.00
    1Schwartz Chinese 5 Spice Seasoning 58G£1.65
    1Schwartz Classic Barbecue Seasoning 44G£1.65
    1Tesco British Skimmed Milk 2.272L/4 Pints£1.00
    1Tesco Sliced Mixed Peppers 500G£1.00
    1Centennial Dry Roasted Peanuts 400G£1.19
    1Tesco Everyday Value White Potatoes 2.5Kg£1.18
    1Birds Eye 4 Original Beef Burgers 227G£1.49
    6 Tesco Everyday Value Strawberry Splitpot Yogurt 140G£1.74
    2 Pepsi Diet 2 Litre Bottle £3.96

After offers were taking off it cost me £26.23 (inc £1 delivery cost)

The stuff in Blue was not on my list but we buy these regularly for the kids

The Stuff in Pink is household items

This was a VERY low shop this week because I am eating out of the freezer so I already have:

Chicken
    Mince
    Prawns
    Cod
    Sausage Meat
    Pie
    Pork mince
    Cous cous
    Rice
    Pasta
    Pizza
    Sweetcorn

Next week will be a big shop because freezer will be almost empty

Gonna see if I can get any bargains at Tesco on sunday, they usually reduce the stuff around 1pm I think
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't got my shopping list from last week - usually though if I have to buy chicken I will get the Frozen chicken breasts from Mr T's, Same as mince, I buy the offer and freeze it.

A lot of what i'm buying is just rubbish (Not junk food) but stuff that i'm wasting at the end of the week.

I'm eating out of the freezer this week so will let you know what it is I am buying and what I waste next week

You need to be more disciplined. If you open a big tub of yogurt then that's what you have for breakfast & puds until it's used up regardless if you would prefer something else.

I'm another who only uses cash when grocery shopping.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Hi OP. Seems to me that every week you have a deadline, every seventh day you chuck out what you already have and go shopping. Try stretching it to eight days, or nine days, and eat what you were going to chuck out. How do you test if food has gone off? Do you inspect it, sniff it, and look closely at it, or do you bin it if it is close to the date?

As someone said, a big pot of plain Value yogurt is 45p, it will last for three weeks in your fridge. Those split pot yogurts for £1.74 are way too expensive. Instead off real coca cola, (I personally still think that is only good for cleaning toilets), get a carton of Value fruit juice and dilute at least 50% water. Six pack white finger rolls are too expensive, you would be better buying a loaf of bread, and wholemeal not white. Did you really need the seasoning at £3.30, maybe look for a cheaper brand.

A lot of what you buy is ok, you just need to tweak it a bit, and make a rule not to throw anything out.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    See on paper I'm doing everything "right" but it just isnt working - I tried to keep a shopping diary but flunked, i even take a shopping list with me!!

It might be that you're spending more on treats than you realise. Try taking each shopping receipt and breaking it down into:
    - household/cleaning stuff
    - essential/need food (e.g. spuds, bread, beans, eggs, cheese)
    - treats/wants (e.g. cola, popcorn, ice-cream)

You might find you're spending £30-40/week on actual food you NEED and most of the rest on treats you WANT without seeing the bigger picture of how much they are costing as a proportion. Spending less doesn't mean they're free....and sometimes the price reduction makes you buy them as you're fooled into thinking you're saving money when, in fact, you're spending it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure