Help required re Care Package

Options
Hi there

A friend's mum has been assessed as needing two carers, four times a day. She is self-funding.

My friend's question is: Can she pay the social services carers, or does she have to find private ones?

Also, could her mum get Attendance Allowance (but I think the answer to that is yes).
(AKA HRH_MUngo)
Member #10 of £2 savers club
Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe she can do either, but she's likely to get a more personal service if she organises the care required herself. For example, SS may say "you need X but not Y" whereas the lady may feel that Y would also be beneficial.

Yes, AA is definitely something to look into!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello .. it's all quite confusing but in a nutshell thre main ways

1) social services 'send their preferred agency round at the times they say and liase with agency over what is done. They bill your friends Mum

2) Your friends Mum chooses her own agency, states her own requirements, and is more in 'control'. She employs the agency direct and they bill her.

3) Your friends MUm employs someone not from an agency and becomes an employer but then has tax, NI, sick leave, holiday leave etc.

Having done all three (although I am funded) I go for option two. I like to be in control and be able to cancel, move add in visits depending on life. We did this for my gran too.

I don't know what the visits are for but she may find that hiring a local cleaner for an hour is cheaper and they will happily make a drink and put out sandwiches for lunch. But I stick with an agency

Do keep on top of thinsg what ever you decide.. most agencies are amazing but there are some that only do part visits.. paid for an hour do 40 minutes, turn up late etc. I would suggest 'dropping' in for a cuppa when carers are meant to be there a few times if friends Mum needs some help.

You can use the social services assesment as evidence for claiming AA and definitely look into it..
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks, I have passed the replies onto my friend, she is delighted :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure