MSE News: Provident is latest firm caught sending misleading payment demands

Short-term lender Provident is the latest firm to have used dubious 'legal' tactics to pressure people to pay off debts ...
Read the full story:

Provident is latest firm caught sending misleading payment demands

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Provident are owned by Unum so I am not the least bit surprised at their dirty tricks.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    external firms, means bigger costs for the debtor
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Misleading payment demands to people who have failed to pay back what they borrowed.

Not sure I would trust either party in this grand mess of lies, deceit and broken promises.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    I don't see anything misleading about that letter if you bother to read it fully. It is from a solicitor, they state their relationship to Provident, and they state that they are referring the case to a debt collection agency. What is misleading about that?
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    tomtontom wrote: »
    I don't see anything misleading about that letter if you bother to read it fully. It is from a solicitor, they state their relationship to Provident, and they state that they are referring the case to a debt collection agency. What is misleading about that?

It's misleading because it's designed to make it look like you're dealing with someone other than Provident. They put in small print that they're an in-house recoveries unit for Provident subsidiaries, but how many people actually read the header and footer on letterheaded paper?

Most people only bother with the content - you know, the important bit.

It's like if I come up to your house and state that I'm from CK Edrupt & Co, but wear a Provident ID badge down near my waist, where you're unlikely to see it. It is very misleading.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    chanz4 wrote: »
    external firms, means bigger costs for the debtor

No one is suggesting they use external firms, just that they identify themselves as who they actually are rather than acting like they're an external firm.

I had some debt with Halifax a few years ago and I know that Halifax did send out some debt demands themselves, but they then passed it onto Blair, Oliver & Scott. Makes you wonder why Halifax would pass it onto their in-house debt collection unit at all when they send out their own demands anyway. It's clearly done to mislead.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • Pinner_Ram
    Pinner_Ram Posts: 49 Forumite
    To be clear; we are not talking about Provident Financial plc a uk listed lender.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Pinner_Ram wrote: »
    To be clear; we are not talking about Provident Financial plc a uk listed lender.

To be clear, WE ARE talking about Provident Financial plc a uk listed lender.

They even share the same address as Provident Financial plc
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • geordie79
    geordie79 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 July 2014 at 9:40PM
    All these companies are committing fraud. If people are unable to pay or fall behind these company's send it down the hall and add more fees, and say they are lawyers... These companies should have there licences revoked, absolutely disgraceful, :money:
  • maybe just maybe the people who borrow the money could pay back the loan they choose to take out which would avoid any letters at all. If you get into financial trouble you contact the manager who makes an arrangement to reduce your payments...I should know I used to be a provident agent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure