Does anyone use a colour detector?

Options
Oh, the joys of being colourblind...

I am finding that due to a mix of partial sight and being colourblind, I am really struggling to check which colour my clothes are, which normally results in wearing odd coloured socks.:o

The colour detectors are about £55. Are they really worth it?
Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
50p saver #40 £20 banked
Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No idea, but have you thought of making a feature of it? One of our friends was known as 'sox' because he always wore mis-matched fluorescent socks.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    This seems to me to be something there should be an app for.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobialia.colordetector
    is the first of many found when searching google play for colour detector.
    I have no idea how well it works.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I only ever buy one type and colour of socks, so I don't have to keep them in pairs.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • martin2345uk
    martin2345uk Posts: 907 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I only ever buy one type and colour of socks, so I don't have to keep them in pairs.

What a good idea!!
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That would probably would work more expensive. And I sometimes wear running socks, which generally are completely different to normal socks.

Thanks for the app suggestion, roger. Didn't think of that.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • wildwestfan
    wildwestfan Posts: 832 Forumite
    Options
    I have to wear a compression stocking which is black. I therefore only buy black socks.
    You could ask your Mum or Dad to help you pair them up after washing, very simple solution and free.
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning this OP. DH is very colour blind and I'd never considered that such a thing could exist. App could be very useful for when he's out shopping.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    That would probably would work more expensive.

Works out cheaper for me; I don't have to throw out a pair if one gets a hole in.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In the US they give colourblind people a single red contact lens so they can tell red from green. By doing this :wink:
    Works out cheaper for me; I don't have to throw out a pair if one gets a hole in.

Life's too short to vary colours of socks. Get a dozen pairs of black ones and never waste a thought on them again.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

I always buy Marks and Sparks black socks, but they're actually a bit of a pain to pair up. Each batch is a slightly different hue, and faded a different amount according to age, and slightly different length, so I can only see to match them in really good daylight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure