travel mobility scooter

Options
Hi

Just looking for some advice on a mobility scooter, I have been looking at the Mercury Prism 3 Travel Mobility Scooter but I can't find any reviews.

I need one that can fit in the boot of a car and possibly take abroad.

Thanks

Comments

• EycplUK
    EycplUK Posts: 777 Forumite
    Options
    Either the Pride Traveller Gogo Plus or the Pride Sport would be of interest to you for the travelling you have indicated ! check them out at pride mobility.uk and then go to http://www.cheapest-scooters.co.uk/about.php and have word with them , good honest answers and can save you a lot of money !
    Regards
    We can recommend the Sport , larger tyres and longer range plus has lights as well ! we both have one now :)
    A Bast**d I May Be ! I Was Born One !
    Whats Your Excuse ?
  • Scully38
    Scully38 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    I have the pride colt plus and use it for shopping, going to carboots, and it does fold down to fit into the boot, but it is heavy. I had to have help getting it into the car as it was too heavy for me to lift. If you have a ramp, or a mobility car, or someone who can lift it into the boot, it fits in most cars. I was able to fit it into a renault scenic, and citroen picasso, so you do need a generous boot, but it will fit into most vehicles except (probably) the little cars like mini's etc.

My colt goes 8 mph and can go up and down steepish hills, it's got a basket on the front and can be ridden on roads, it is quite sturdy to with thick wheels and head lights if that helps.

If you see one you like, you can always ring up the shop and ask a few questions and they are pretty good at helping you out. Alternatively most towns have disability shops that you can go into to try them out or ask questions. Not sure if that answers your question or not.
    Everything I know, I've learned from Judge Judy. :p

"I have no life, that's why i'm interfering in yours." :p
  • Magenta
    Magenta Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    EycplUK wrote: »
    Either the Pride Traveller Gogo Plus or the Pride Sport would be of interest to you for the travelling you have indicated ! check them out at pride mobility.uk and then go to http://www.cheapest-scooters.co.uk/about.php and have word with them , good honest answers and can save you a lot of money !
    Regards
    We can recommend the Sport , larger tyres and longer range plus has lights as well ! we both have one now :)

Does the Pride Sport go on the road and do you have to pay special insurance for it?
    Also does it have a place to put crutches?
    Thanks very much:)
    :smileyheaMagenta
  • EycplUK
    Options
    Magenta wrote: »
    Does the Pride Sport go on the road and do you have to pay special insurance for it?
    Also does it have a place to put crutches?
    Thanks very much:)

As in road legal ? no , its a 4mph scooter , to be road legal you are into 8mph scooters which are "Heavy" of course you are allowed access to the road where pavement travel is not an option for you to use ! and this size scooter(8mph) is rarely " boot friendly " because of weight and size !
    No scooter has to have insurance but it makes common sense to have some as it is for both Public Liability and Recovery in case of breakdown , rare but it can happen !
    As for Crutch Holders they are usually available as an extra but we got free ones with our scooter , think the offer is still on-going but at £30 it is still value , hope this helps ?
    Whats Your Excuse ?
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't remember if i posted ..
    liteway 8 is an 8mph road scooter that comes apart for transport but you need a BIG boot an dmuscles.

Crutch holders - i had stick ones on my last scooter and found them a faff..on bumps they would pop out of the holder bit so had to be tied in.

i now use climbing carabenas to attach a normal backpack to the back of my chair and stuff sticks and things in there. I imagine you could easily adapt something
  • Magenta
    edited 18 July 2014 at 11:35PM
    Options
    EycplUK wrote: »
    As in road legal ? no , its a 4mph scooter , to be road legal you are into 8mph scooters which are "Heavy" of course you are allowed access to the road where pavement travel is not an option for you to use ! and this size scooter(8mph) is rarely " boot friendly " because of weight and size !
    No scooter has to have insurance but it makes common sense to have some as it is for both Public Liability and Recovery in case of breakdown , rare but it can happen !
    As for Crutch Holders they are usually available as an extra but we got free ones with our scooter , think the offer is still on-going but at £30 it is still value , hope this helps ?

Just looking at the website you mentioned on here I think that the Pride Colt Sport will be the one that I go for as I see that is a Class 3 one and I imagine that that class 3 rating means that it can go on the road. (I hope that's what it means!)

Thanks for your answer. For me it is not important if it goes into the boot of a car as I haven't got one!
    Although my mobility is almost zero I only get the lowest mobility allowance so although I would love a car I cannot afford to buy one and to pay for the adaptations I need :(
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just looking at the website you mentioned on here I think that the Pride Colt Sport will be the one that I go for as I see that is a Class 3 one and I imagine that that class 3 rating means that it can go on the road. (I hope that's what it means!)

Yes - class 3 is road legal.. tax disc is free and a simple form to register if you buy used.. dealer usually does it for new.

They also have a 'tortoise and hare switch' on dashboard so you can limit to 4mph and use on pavements.
  • Magenta
    Options
    Cyclamen wrote: »
    Yes - class 3 is road legal.. tax disc is free and a simple form to register if you buy used.. dealer usually does it for new.

They also have a 'tortoise and hare switch' on dashboard so you can limit to 4mph and use on pavements.

Thanks for the info Cyclamen:)
  • EycplUK
    Options
    One other thing to consider when buying a scooter is that not much public transport is available to be used , more for the smaller 4mph ones and very little for the 6/8mph scooters ! most bus and train companies will refuse both sizes carriage or you need to obtain a scooter permit( if available ) before you can travel ! wheelchairs & powerchairs do not have this problem !
    The bigger scooters also suffer from lack of Ferry & Airplane carriage as well !
    Regards
    Whats Your Excuse ?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What a coincidence finding this thread. Not too long ago, I was talking to someone that had bought a mobility scooter a few days before. They showed me how it came apart for their car. They were going to take it abroad a few days later, such was the confidence they had in it.

They said it was about £350, (didn't mention the vat), they gave me the model/details and looked it up.

Today I contacted the company (lloyds chemist) they've emailed me this :-

http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/view_product.php?prodID=9343

I have to say I'm tempted. I can walk, but this last year has seen me struggle, so thought it might be handy for the days when I need it. Don't have a car, but would need to store it indoors/shed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure