Can you negotaite the Motability advance payment with garages?

Options
AS the thread title really I was wondering if this is something you can try. We've paid a £200 advance payment for our current car but it looks like we need something bigger to get a hoist in & the advance payments are more like £500, or more, which for me is ouch.

Comments

• pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    Yes.

We have £300 off our current VW, only £100 off Vauxhall in the past but the current Focus and Mondeo might throw up something interesting as new models are due.

As you would when buying a new car, let your fingers do the walking, haggle and play one against the other.

Don't let the old chestnut of "we don't make anything on a Motabilty vehicle" put you off - its not true and if the salesperson looks sincere when they say it,
    it might well be that the sales manager keeps them in the dark (Mushroom Syndrome).

Time consuming, but fun.
  • devon_guy
    devon_guy Posts: 293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can confirm that they don't get nearly anywhere as much for selling a motability car as selling the same car to a non motability customer. My brother works in the industry and basically the dealership gets a flat handling fee for selling a car compared to a % for non motability deals.
    I've never ever heard of anyone being able to negotiate a deal before.
  • pauliboo
    pauliboo Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    I managed a 50% discount on £700 of options.

The dealership may not make as much as they used to, but that sale still goes into their bonus figures, they also make money on the servicing.

I wouldn't feel too bad for them, if it wasn't profitable for the individual dealership then they wouldn't employ someone full-time.
    Unite Disability Champion & Equality Rep
  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for your help & I found this link which made good reading. I sure intend to try & haggle as this used to be a key part of my previous business life.

http://www.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/cashback-on-advance-payments/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport