Batteries for mobility scooters.

Options
Scooter batteries are very expensive so the tendency is to look for the cheapest. You are warned that this is not the best policy. But I have never had a failed battery, they all lasted three or more years and I think they all originated in China. I am looking for two 12v.50ah batteries. What experience have others had on battery life ? .

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Danny1931 wrote: »
    Scooter batteries are very expensive so the tendency is to look for the cheapest. You are warned that this is not the best policy. But I have never had a failed battery, they all lasted three or more years and I think they all originated in China. I am looking for two 12v.50ah batteries. What experience have others had on battery life ? .

Three years is about the expected life of a lead acid battery in this sort of application.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The CHARGER and charging regime has a great influence on battery life. I killed two sets of MK branded batteries on swmbo's Pride GoGo scooter (2x 17/18Ah batteries) by following the advice of the shop and manufacturer to charge after every use and overnight. This despite the claim the charger was 'intelligent'.

Now, I charge until the green light comes on saying 'charged' and take off soon afterwards. The third set are now in month 38 and on charge number 223 and still going strong. We don't even charge after every use any more, only if we know want a longer range 'tomorrow'. BTW using the same charger, just different batteries (Lucas branded). I'm convinced the charger was cooking the batteries overnight, leading to loss of capacity very quickly.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/ is a wealth of good info on Sealed Lead Acid and Gel batteries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure