1p Debt

edited 13 July 2014 at 5:47PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
2 replies 1K views
kshamandikshamandi Forumite
1 Post
edited 13 July 2014 at 5:47PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
Hi all,

Just to make it short, 5+ years ago I was overdrawn on my account (first time ever) by accident for 1 pence and my bank charged me for unplanned use of overdraft and by the time I found out, the charge was almost £45 and after I spoke with the bank they refused to do anything about it so I stopped dealing with that bank any more since then and the last thing I remember is the debt went up to £115.87

Recently, I started receiving letters from red debt collectors asking me to pay the debit of £115.87 and I kept ignoring them, and the last letter was about they will forward my details to hampton legals to deal with the matter and take it to court!

ANY advice what can I do in this situation being asked to pay money I don't owe and have no idea from where it come from?.

Thanks

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the actual date of the default on your credit file.....
    Its important
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kshamandi wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just to make it short, 5+ years ago I was overdrawn on my account (first time ever) by accident for 1 pence and my bank charged me for unplanned use of overdraft and by the time I found out, the charge was almost £45 and after I spoke with the bank they refused to do anything about it so I stopped dealing with that bank any more since then and the last thing I remember is the debt went up to £115.87

Recently, I started receiving letters from red debt collectors asking me to pay the debit of £115.87 and I kept ignoring them, and the last letter was about they will forward my details to hampton legals to deal with the matter and take it to court!

ANY advice what can I do in this situation being asked to pay money I don't owe and have no idea from where it come from?.

Thanks

This may sound harsh, but in actual fact you do owe this money, for the reasons the bank gave you. The worst thing you could have done was ignore the £45 which you owed. Did you honestly think they would forget about it. And because you ignored it, they have added even more charges to it.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals