What to do with unwanted Vinyl

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 12 July 2014 at 5:21PM in Music MoneySaving
We have a number of records to dispose of - including several classic albums such as "Rumours"
Mostly 80's music though.

They are too good to take to the tip - but are they of any value nowadays ?
Any suggestions as to what to do with them ?

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look at sold listings on eBay to see what they're selling for, and then, if the prices appeal, and you have the time, sell them there.

With vinyl, condition and matrix numbers are all.

A 'first pressing' (low matrix numbers) is more highly prized than later pressings in many cases.

If they're 'too good to take to the tip', why aren't you keeping them and playing them?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I went to a market where a dealer had setup a stall. Only seen him there once but i bought a few things. Based around Stratford-on-Avon?? Pretty sure they had a little unit locally?

Or find your local shop and see what they value them at.

I used to know a few guys that bought vinly for pennies at the carboots and they seemed to know exactly what to look for.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    I have just returned from a family party.

There were a number of LPs folded into a kind of crinkly bowl shape which were used to contain popcorn.

I believe my daughter paid around £2 a piece.

I spotted a rare Richard Clayderman album among the collection.
  • whichwhydoIturn
    Options
    zenmaster wrote: »
    I have just returned from a family party.

There were a number of LPs folded into a kind of crinkly bowl shape which were used to contain popcorn.

I believe my daughter paid around £2 a piece.

I spotted a rare Richard Clayderman album among the collection.

I make those bowls , as gifts or sell , easy & original
    mum "e" to the most perfect girl :Awho stood by me through it all nana to my beautiful grandson WLM 27.09.13:j
    mother of the bride September 2014 :love:
    Turning a house into a home :o
    What if the Hokey Cokey is really what it's all about ?
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    I saw cakestands made out of records at a fair last weekend, you can buy the cakestand kit on line.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    Or bend one in half and make a wall shelf.
  • safestored4
    safestored4 Posts: 464 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2014 at 11:30PM
    Options
    This is a Money Saving website. Before you start indulging in exotic vinyl bending make sure that the records involved have no value. Ebay is a good place to start looking to check things out. Also look at the Popsike website which records prices achieved on Ebay worldwide over the past ten years.

Apart from 'Rumours' you haven't listed any of the records you have but three things tend to influence value - condition, obscurity (the fewer copies that were sold when the record was originaly issued the better), and the genre. For example, I have had no problem selling some 1960s Reggae records in poor condition on ebay on behalf of a local charity shop for £30 each. A very collectable genre. Had the records been in very good condition thry would have sold for twice that.

Also, LP covers rather than the records themselves are increasingly sought after for the artwork.

If your records and the covers are in good condition why get rid of them unless you need the space? They will only go up in value in the future.
  • daveybea
    daveybea Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    Well if you have any Bob Dylan going free I will take them off your hands as my teenage dd can't get enough of him on vinyl! :):):)
    im tray not davey...pinched my hubbys account!!!
    :think:
    I must stop buying smellies..well until i spot a bargain!
    never turn a bargain /freebie down you just never know when you need it :D
  • safestored4
    safestored4 Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    Spot on. I bought every vinyl album he ever made but in 30 years of visiting car boot sales I don't think that I have seen more than half a dozen copies of his records for sale. For certain artists like him those who bought the records can't ever let them go.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 July 2014 at 9:02AM
    Options
    This is a Money Saving website. Before you start indulging in exotic vinyl bending make sure that the records involved have no value. Ebay is a good place to start looking to check things out. Also look at the Popsike website which records prices achieved on Ebay worldwide over the past ten years.

Apart from 'Rumours' you haven't listed any of the records you have but three things tend to influence value - condition, obscurity (the fewer copies that were sold when the record was originaly issued the better), and the genre. For example, I have had no problem selling some 1960s Reggae records in poor condition on ebay on behalf of a local charity shop for £30 each. A very collectable genre. Had the records been in very good condition thry would have sold for twice that.

Also, LP covers rather than the records themselves are increasingly sought after for the artwork.

If your records and the covers are in good condition why get rid of them unless you need the space? They will only go up in value in the future.

Frankie goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the pleasuredome - double album
    Yes - Tormato
    Queen - live magic
    ZZTop - legs 12"
    Paul Young - No Parlez
    Blondie - best of (*2)
    Marillion - Fugazi
    Paul Simon - Graceland
    peter Gabriel - So
    Dire Straits - Bros in arms
    Frankie goes to Hollywood 12" 2 tribes
    Jean Michael Jarre - the essential
    Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl
    Meatloaf - bat out of hell
    the best of elvis Costello
    etc etc....*60
    all in original sleeves - all unplayed 20+ years - all good condition - no scratches !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure