What did you find out about Morrisons after using your £5 vouchers?

Options
DPJames
DPJames Posts: 999 Forumite
I hardly ever shop in Morrisons, but the offer of free fruit and veg was too good to turn down. So I greedily (admittedly) bought ten copies of the Sun and used them all up over the weekend just gone.

Now this latest marketing ploy must have cost Morrisons millions. But some brightspark must have though it would be worth it because people would come, see how totally awesome Morrisons is, and then change their mindset about the yellow supermarket.

But did to work out that way for them? What was your experience of Morrisons like?

For me, I found that the quality of their fruit and veg was quite poor. I visited the place four times over the weekend and the amount of mouldy tomatoes, bruised apples, black spotted bananas, bashed melons I saw was quite shocking. It definitely has put me off trying them again, unless they do the £5 vouchers again of course ;)

And I also found that their milk is way more expensive than Asda, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. But their wafer ham is reasonably priced and delicious. But not delicious enough to tempt me back in unfortunately.

So Mr. Morrison. Thanks for £50 worth of fruit and veg, but I won't be back I'm afraid.

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DPJames wrote: »

For me, I found that the quality of their fruit and veg was quite poor. I visited the place four times over the weekend and the amount of mouldy tomatoes, bruised apples, black spotted bananas, bashed melons I saw was quite shocking.

Well I live a minutes walk from a Morrisons and shop there most days, often several times a day.

In my experience what you saw was not typical. Morrisons, or at least the branch I shop in, have top quality fruit and veg.

Would you like to say which branch you shopped in? Maybe another user also shops there and can give a second opinion.
  • purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    I shop in Morrisons as my local one reduces food quite early on in the day and its good for yellow stickered bargains. Apart from that I dont find their prices competitive, I tend to shop at aldi, home bargains, B and M and get most of my fruit and veg from aldi and a local fruit stall. Occasionally buy frozen veg at farmfoods as well.
  • eleanor73
    eleanor73 Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I personally think Morrisons fish and meat is really good (esp from the counters) but their fruit and veg is often a bit manky.
    Since starting again after beanie: June 2016: Child development DVDs, Massive Attack tickets. July: Aberystwyth trip, hotmilk nightie. Aug: £10 Hipp Organic vouchers, powerpack. September: Sunglasses. October: £30 poundland vouchers.
  • BargainPrincess
    BargainPrincess Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 July 2014 at 2:23PM
    Options
    I don't normally shop at Morrisons but did take advantage of the Sun £5 offer.

I must say I am not impressed with the quality of the fruit and veg. The next day, I had to throw out tomatoes, oranges and the grapes were also starting to go off.

I wouldn't have been happy if I had paid full price for it. I won't bother going again. Well, unless they tempt me with another good offer!!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've been tempted into Morrisons by another of their loss-leader promotions - FuelSaver.

The local Morrisons is also the nicest/most convenient of the town big supermarkets (compared to Sainsburys & Asda).

Their prices seem to be to be all over the place. Some things (some of the fruit & veg) are similar value to Aldi (or better). Other things are very expensive.

It seems they are aiming for a small number of offers that they can publicise widely (wafer ham being one), whilst clawing it back with high prices elsewhere. I might spend £6-7 a week on a few things that I can't get at Aldi, but that's where I get my main shop from.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't normally shop at Morrisons but did take advantage of the Sun £5 offer.

I must say I am not impressed with the quality of the fruit and veg. The next day, I had to throw out tomatoes, oranges and the grapes were also starting to go off.

I wouldn't have been happy if I had paid full price for it. I won't be bother going again. Well, unless they tempt me with another good offer!!

More than happy with what I bought. All the tomatos , grapes , Strawberies , cherries , peppers , cucumber , lettuce and more that I have left are still going strong and healthy looking
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to shop at Morrisons at least once a week - that was over a year ago.

The quality of fresh produce ranges from OK to horrendous; the staff are rude and god help you if you ask them where something is, detracting them from their conversation! I got one voucher, and spent the full £5. Wouldn't shop there again, it is far too expensive for average to bad quality food.

I now get my F&V from either Tesco (on reduced) or aldi's super 6.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's awkward for me to get to, but they do have some lovely pies (sold in the brown bags) ... unfortunately, all I do is look at the bags as they contain many pies and I only want one and feel ripped off at the price to buy one :)

I didn't get the £5 voucher as I couldn't have eaten £5's worth of that as I'm moving, so have been running things down and not bringing new food into the home that has the potential to hang around for over a week as it'd need "moving" too.
  • BB34
    BB34 Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have to say that I always prefer Morrisons for fruit and veg, as I find it is fresher and lasts longer than any of the other supermarkets!
  • rhcp
    rhcp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My first ever visit to Morrisons, so I was probably the type of person the promotion was aimed at. I was disappointed with the quality of some of the fruit and veg. I wouldn't really go there again for fruit and veg, but at least I learnt the lay out of the shop, and I hate having to find out where everything is, so may go in there again if they have any decent offers going.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure