Insurance for mobility scooters

Options
I did search, and there is a thread, but it's a couple of years old, so I thought I'd ask again rather than resurrect that (hopefully I did the right thing).

I'm looking for recommendations for insurers for a mobility scooter. I have asked my household insurer (Budget) but they can't/won't add it to the policy.

Can anyone help?
DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts

Comments

• Chorlie
    Chorlie Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    http://www.bluebadgemobilityinsurance.co.uk/mobility-insurance

Never used them, but they had a stand at the Naidex Show.
  • ajb69
    ajb69 Posts: 135 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2014 at 8:49AM
    Options
    I've used Lockons for a few years now. Never claimed, which is the litmus test I suppose, but here's a link:

http://www.locktonmobility.co.uk/mobility-scooter-insurance/index.html

I like it because, unlike most policies I've seen, they cover you for theft/damage without any exclusions except that - when at home - the scooter must be kept inside a locked building/car/shed between 9pm-6am. By comparison, Fish or BlueBadge will only cover you for the first hour a scooter is left unattended, so if you leave it outside the supermarket/cafe/in your garden for longer than an hour then you're not covered unless you securely padlock it to a lampost or similar (which, given how easily most scooters can be dismantled, has always seemed to me to be impossible to achieve).

Anyway useful for me because my wife can't get the scooter into the shed, so she can leave it in the garden until I get home and we are still covered. Also handy on the rare occasions we are on holiday as I don't have to worry about finding secure overnight storage.

Hope this helps, I'm no expert so please double check the policy wordings rather than take my word for it!

drew
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    If you have buildings home & contents insurance your policy may cover your scooter and any public liability.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure