Your neighbours can check what benefits you are on courtsey of DVLA

Options
Apparently, people can find out what benefits you are on on new DVLA site.

The article is here.
http://welfarenewsservice.com/dvla-website-lets-visitors-check-neighbours-benefits/

I'd say, this is another attack on the vulnerable group, much like bullying really. If you don't want to reveal your circumstance, pay up! out of what little you get.

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well, not all benefits. Just whether you are on higher DLA and your car tax is being paid for you.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    it says that the DVLA show taxation class as 'disabled' meaning that people can tell that the person receives either rate of PIP mobility ir HRM DLA.
    the easier way to find this out is to just walk upto the car your neighbour drives and read the tax disc.
    it will also say 'disabled' on it.
    so apart frpm being able to do it without leaving your chair, i dont really see the issue
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just like how a lot of motability cars have stickers in the windows advertising that someone is iro PIP/DLA.

Not really an issue is it? Could also mean you are a disabled veteran.

Mind you a blue badge also tends to give this away as well.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    There is nothing saying you have to apply for the exemption, in principle, you can pay road tax as normal.

(I do not approve of this change)
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2014 at 11:51AM
    Options
    GMbabies wrote: »
    Apparently, people can find out what benefits you are on on new DVLA site.

The article is here.
    http://welfarenewsservice.com/dvla-website-lets-visitors-check-neighbours-benefits/

I'd say, this is another attack on the vulnerable group, much like bullying really. If you don't want to reveal your circumstance, pay up! out of what little you get.

What a load of rubbish! It just shows that someone in the household is entitled to free VED on a ve-hickle.

Can't see any DPA being broken - its the same as walking upto the car and seeing "NIL" and "DISABLED" written on the disc in the window.
  • skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Options
    As opposed to the old system, where a vehicles taxation class was a closely guarded secret, displayed in the windscreen?
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    skivenov wrote: »
    As opposed to the old system, where a vehicles taxation class was a closely guarded secret, displayed in the windscreen?

Unlike the new system where someone can check the taxation class from the comfort of their own home.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »
    Unlike the new system where someone can check the taxation class from the comfort of their own home.

On the old system it wouldnt have the VED rate, it would just be left blank. So 95% of people would be able to work out what that meant if they compared their own car which had its value on show.

Applying the OP's therity then, maybe people who sit in arm chairs could assume that people who DO pay VED "have more money than sense".

I personally couldnt care less about my VED beinbg on show or not. it's part of having a car.

What about people who only put 6 months tax on? Will the neighbours think that they are rubbish at saving money or cant afford to run a car?

Who_actually_cares.
  • Maryanneslapcabbage
    Options
    I knew someone who was claiming the high rate mobility component but didn't have a mobility car.
    She was issued a tax disc free of charge by the council that her son used on his own car as it was used to transport the disabled person around.

So,looking at the sons car tax disc,it would appear that he was on benefits,but of course,it wouldn't be true.

I have a motability car myself and I couldn't care less whether other people knew it or not! :p
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I assume that all the people that do not like this idea who have VEDs that say Nil or DISABLED will now stop using disabled parking areas as one of their neighbours might recognise the car and realise that they are claiming a disability benefit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure