Backdated IS/HB after PIP decision

Options
Hi, I wonder if anyone can answer a question for me please. As some of you know I'm waiting for a decision on my PIP claim (first applied July 2013). When (and I'm being positive here) I get a favourable decision I know the PIP is backdated to the original claim date but is the disability premium on Income Support and / or Housing Benefit backdated too? I only ask so that I can work out what I may be due so I can start to work out what equipment I can get (including new bed) and give creditors an idea of when I can pay my debts. Any helpful advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks. Su

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 July 2014 at 4:40PM
    Options
    yes, any premiums will also be backdared.
    i'm a bit unsure what you mean regarding your housing benefit though.
    they dont allow you extra benefit, they just disregard more of your income before they calculate the HB.
    as your on income support already, you would be receiving the highest amount of HB that you can get

just thought ... if you are renting privately and only entitled to the shared accomodation rate, but a PIP award would make you entitled to the 1 bed rate?
    if that is the case, then yes, it should also be backdated
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »

just thought ... if you are renting privately and only entitled to the shared accomodation rate, but a PIP award would make you entitled to the 1 bed rate?
    if that is the case, then yes, it should also be backdated

It would, yes. Doesn't apply if you're 35 or over though. And there's something (ridiculous, imo) about needing to be receiving the severe disability premium in order to get the one bed rate.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • kittykat17
    kittykat17 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    edited 4 July 2014 at 11:16PM
    Options
    Thanks Nanny & Indie. Yes it is private rented. When I last spoke to local auth about HB they said that I would get the maximum LHR for the one bed rate if I am awarded PIP. She didn't mention the severe disability premium though- I'm not sure what this is - is it to do with not having anyone claiming carers for me? She also didn't mention about it being backdated. I never expected either one to be backdated and am totally shocked! Mind you, since I'm still waiting for my decision I might not get anything! Thank you both very much. Su x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure