basic credit/debit card

Options
:confused: I have a bank account with R.B.O.S,I only get the minimum amount of carers allowance as income and it is payed to this account weekly,i am not considered for a debit/credit card as i do not go out to work and earn a salary as everyone puts it,through no fault of her own obviously my, partner is disabled,and i'm her carer.
In this day and age everything is paid by debit/credit card,i am unable to access this facility,thereby making it extremely difficult to do the things others take for granted,e.g paying on-line for so many things.
My partner transfers £100 every week guaranteed into my account to try and make the amount going thru my account a bit healthier,still no-one will help,i do not want overdraught facilities,insurance etc,just a basic card where i can put money in thereby allowing me to pay out.
I know this system can be abused,but i don't want the bank to lend me anything that i can't pay back,if i don't have the money in the account i can't use the card,does anyone know of a way to allow me to get such a service.:confused:

Comments

• Colliefrog
    Colliefrog Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    Co-operative, Halifax and Yorkshire bank all do basic accounts that have a debit card facility. I know the Halifax one doesn't do a credit check as I have this account myself. It IS basic, but enough for what I need... online banking, debit card, direct debits/standing orders etc.
  • 76Bramble
    76Bramble Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, not sure if you know about pre paid credit cards. Ive just got mine. Great if you don't want debt and you can re load them at post office for free.It works the same way as a credit card but you have to load money onto it before you use it. So far ive not had any problems. Mine is a Gold cashplus Mastercard. 76Bramble.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst they may be suitable it should be pointed out that they are not free.
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    co- op has a basic cashminder account which gives you an visa electorn card which you can use at most stores - tescos, siansburys and the like

pre paid cards have a set up fee ands monthy or per transaction fees
  • k1mmie
    k1mmie Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Natwest do a basic account (step). It gives you a debit card -solo and can be used anywhere. This works fine for us as we do not require any credit facilities. If it's there its ours!

They do credit check, but this account is recommended for lower credit scores, so thee wont be a problem in getting one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure