changing dentists and doctors, records transfer?

Options
Hi

I have moved areas and need to look for a new dentist soon, I have one but in the last 5-10 years I have had some repairs done and want to ensure my new dental surgeon has all the required information about my history.

How do the records transfer from a previous dental practise? Do I need to request these or does my new dentist need to request them?

Also does the same apply with doctors?

Many Thanks

Comments

• sweaty_betty
    sweaty_betty Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi

I have moved areas and need to look for a new dentist soon, I have one but in the last 5-10 years I have had some repairs done and want to ensure my new dental surgeon has all the required information about my history.

How do the records transfer from a previous dental practise? Do I need to request these or does my new dentist need to request them?

Also does the same apply with doctors?

Many Thanks

Doctors notes all definitely (should) get transferred.

I remember previously being told by a dentist surgery that they don't pass on notes - they take an x-ray when you register and that gives them all they need to know. That's never really sat right with me and I really hope it's wrong! However, there's nothing to stop you requesting a copy of your records from your current/previous dentist to take with you if you're concerned.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,076 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Medical records will follow you automatically once you register at a new practice.

Dental records usually don't follow people, but a new dentist will start his own records from scratch when you first go.

If there is something particular you wasn't your new dentist to know about, then you could ask him to contact your previous dentist for a copy of your notes, but this might involve a copying charge from your previous practice.

It's not usually necessary to obtain previous notes. A good initial examination with x-rays should show up pretty well what has gone on before.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • busiscoming2
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Medical records will follow you automatically once you register at a new practice.

Dental records usually don't follow people, but a new dentist will start his own records from scratch when you first go.

If there is something particular you wasn't your new dentist to know about, then you could ask him to contact your previous dentist for a copy of your notes, but this might involve a copying charge from your previous practice.

It's not usually necessary to obtain previous notes. A good initial examination with x-rays should show up pretty well what has gone on before.

If you have an ongoing problem (and not in the middle of any treatment) should you tell the new dentist before your register? Would this stop them taking you on?
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,076 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    No need to tell them before the initial examination. But it should come up during the initial examination.

It really shouldn't stop anyone from taking you on - unless the 'ongoing problem' is an alien tracking device you're convinced has been implanted in one of your teeth! That might make me suggest the patients needs might be 'better met elsewhere' :D
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport