Can I be a bit cunning to get a balance transfer?

Hello!
Just wondering if I could be a bit cunning to get a 0% balance transfer on my existing card. I have a Barclaycard which often offers 0% and I would love to have my existing balance at 0% to help me clear it as its a real pain at the moment. I have tried to apply for a Halifax card on-line but was rejected and think my credit rating has been hit by some recent hiccups :0( Could I repay my BC using the joint cc I have with my husband with a different bank, and then transfer that amount back to my BC as a 0% interest? I have seen nothing on the T&C's that would prevent it but I don't want to make a huge error!!
Thanks in advance for any advice
BB

Comments

• It's not cunning. It's fine.
    The terms state you may not transfer to another BC (or any other card owned by the BC Group).
    You may transfer to your own cards or other peoples if you wish.

However, the transfer fee is one consideration.
    I have also done this before by getting a BC 'transfer to bank account on 0% before.
    I paid a 2.9% transfer fee, T/F'ed enough to cover the amount outstanding on the card (pluss the fee) then paid the whole lot stright back off with my debit card. 18mths at 0%.
    That might be a safer way to do it for you.
    You do run a risk (if you have recent adverse credit) that you could pay off the BC using another CC and then either no get a 0% offer or have it refused when actually attempting to make the B/T.
    I have noticed that I only seem to get the 'trans to current account' offers recently when I have a small debt compared to my credit limit though so they might be wise to me having done it before!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Beanbearer wrote: »
    the joint cc I have with my husband
    Just a point of semantics, but remember there is no such thing as a "joint credit card". The primary cardholder is 100% liable for ALL spend on a card account, the secondary cardholders carry NO LIABILITY whatsoever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure