Scared stiff of going on holiday

Options
Hello, I ll keep it brief, a family member asked last year if I'd like to join them whilst they are getting married in Cyprus this year .
I very impulsively said yes and now I'm going on Wednesday
I'm so worried and tearful
I'm worried that the pet sitter won't look after my pets , I haven't had a holiday for 20 years , never been away from home for more than 1 night two days in that time .
I'm tearful and overwhelmed and see the worst in all situations .
I've talked to my doctor this morning and they have given me tablets to take to help me relax, but at 3am this morning , I was wide awake worrying .
I've spoken to my DD tonight who is also going however I don think that she realises that it's not I don't want to go , it's i physically feel ill when I think about it
I was actually sick on Saturday night just thinking about it .
Can anyone advice me please I don't mind loosing my holiday money , however I'm very fond of the bride , she's lovely also, I fell like I'm letting my DD and her family down .
I live on my own , for almost a year now and I generally don't socilsie or things and I just go to work , then come home , really
The holiday is in perena hotel
mum "e" to the most perfect girl :Awho stood by me through it all nana to my beautiful grandson WLM 27.09.13:j
mother of the bride September 2014 :love:
Turning a house into a home :o
What if the Hokey Cokey is really what it's all about ?

Comments

• aggypanthus
    aggypanthus Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It was very brave of you to agree to going.
    Do you suffer from long term general or social anxiety?
    Are you scared of being unable to get away from people on hol, when you need your own space?
    Plan some strategies to make you more comfortable, in advance.
  • mick_vandick
    Options
    Get yourself a book called Essential help for your nerves by Dr Claire Weekes, it has helped many people, me included.
    There is a lot of help out there for anxiety these days and it sounds like this is what you are suffering with. Go back to the docs and get referred for councilling. While it's too late to help with the holiday, it will help in the future.
    :beer:
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    :hello: Whichway.

I get you . :A

Twenty years is a long time to go without a holiday & of course you're going to be anxious . It's daunting isn't it .

Think about it this way . .. It's a week away from home , you're pets will be fine ( honestly )

The hotel looks stunning . .. You need to just take a step back & realise that it's only 7 days , but wow what a great time you're going to have with your DD :)

At the airport put some ear phones in , same on the plane .

I really hope you go , Cyprus is very beautiful:)
  • whichwhydoIturn
    Options
    It's like you actually know me .honestly . Yep, I have anxiety and depression which I do have treatment for , I have a wonderful doctor too.
    Lost my mum last year & the next day my grandson was born , my relationship broke up at that time , so this just seems a too big step for me.
    I will look for the book on kindle now , bless you all for your kindness and support
    Which x
    mum "e" to the most perfect girl :Awho stood by me through it all nana to my beautiful grandson WLM 27.09.13:j
    mother of the bride September 2014 :love:
    Turning a house into a home :o
    What if the Hokey Cokey is really what it's all about ?
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    A little practical advice.
    Get yourself to the airport in plenty of time and then its really doing as you are told. Others make all the decisions for you.
    You go to the check in desk and just answer the questions.
    You go to departure lounge, just follow the crowds.
    You will see your flight on the board..... it will tell you when to move.
    The airport staff are there to help
    The aircrew are there to help

One step at a time ....... if little kids can do it so can you .
    And yes Cyprus is wonderful
    ( they all speak better English than you do )

They even drive on the same side, so crossing roads is easy

Have a great time.
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    A little practical advice.
    Get yourself to the airport in plenty of time and then its really doing as you are told. Others make all the decisions for you.
    You go to the check in desk and just answer the questions.
    You go to departure lounge, just follow the crowds.
    You will see your flight on the board..... it will tell you when to move.
    The airport staff are there to help
    The aircrew are there to help

One step at a time ....... if little kids can do it so can you .
    And yes Cyprus is wonderful
    ( they all speak better English than you do )

They even drive on the same side, so crossing roads is easy

Have a great time.

^^^ this .. Go on you can do it whichwhydoIturn :j
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will do you the world of good - some sunshine and a happy occasion. You can do this!

The pet sitter will look after your pets.

Most people are very kind and I've yet to go anywhere and not get help when I need it. There may be some blips but nothing that you can't cope with. You're magnificent!
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is often one big plus from going away and leaving your pets for a while, and that is the greeting that you will probably get when you return. (unless of course, your pets are goldfish!)

Going away for the first time in a long while will undoubtedly be daunting, but once you've made the first step and done it, there probably won't be any stopping you and you'll want to do it again and again.
  • sazaccount
    sazaccount Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi whichwhydoIturn,

As some of the others have said, get to the airport nice and early, How are you getting there? If its public transport get the one before the one you were planning on getting if its a taxi or friend taking you leave half an hour before you were planning, this means that you can have a relaxed journey to the airport even if there are some bumps...

Where something really comfy, yoga/jogging bottoms, shorts take a jumper for comfy jacket as the planes can get a bit chilly.

Headphones and some either your favorite music or something chilled out, I like the sound of rain and thunderstorms when I want to chill out go to sleep I put on a nice long storm soundtrack.

Check in nice and early and then its like wallbash said just follow the instructions. There is normally an area to sit or I found even just wondering around duty free can be less busy that the seating areas. Find where your flight is departing from and follow the crowds. Get a couple of books on your kindle that you love and cant put down even if these are something you've read before with headphones on you can block out the rest of the world!! You can always speak to the airline or check in and tell them that you are nervous its been a long time that you've been away etc they are normally very helpful.

Your pets will be fine!!! is the pet sitter a friend or someone you found? you can always ask them to send a pic or video chat you while your away.

Have an amazing time away!!!!!!
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
    2010 Posts: 5,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 July 2014 at 7:18AM
    Options
    Very often when people think about an event thats going to happen in the future they imagine all sorts of things that could go wrong.
    People afraid of flying book a holiday and then spend the next couple of months thinking ahead and worrying all about it.
    When the actual event takes place and seems to be going OK they then start "thinking ahead" again about when they get to their destination and worry about that.
    Once on their holiday they then start worring about how they are going to manage the return trip.

All this constantly worrying about what`s ahead is actually the worse part because when you come to doing it, that bit turns out OK, but then you have to start worrying about the next stage.
    It`s a vicious circle that needs to be broken but in time it can be done.

I think the main key to it is learning about relaxation.
    You need to be able to "turn on" relaxing when facing difficult situations.
    Help with tablets, learning to relax by reading books, listening to dvd`s and even hypnotherapy will all help you to achieve this
    eventually.
    Other posters may be able to recommend some books and dvd`s to help.
    Try and bite the bullet on Wednesday and do it.
    Now you`ve told ALL us you can`t really back out now.

Try searching for sites and help such as this.(I`m not recommending it, just to give you an idea)

http://www.foundationforpositivementalhealth.com/

Just down a bit on the left hand side where it says "RELAX NOW" there is an audio track to click on and listen to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure