Playstation - what can we do about such bad service?

Hi everyone

we need some advice as literally at the end of our tethers.

We bought a new PS4 in January from Game online and paid via debit card.

The console broke after a month and we could hear the game still working but the screen kept disappearing and going blue. Apparently this is a common fault with the new PS4's.

We phoned Sony PS and did everything they said with regards to troubleshooting - nothing so we packaged it up as they specified and took it to the Post office to be sent back.

To cut a long story short Royal Mail lost the parcel and we had to wait ages for Sony to confirm this. Lots of phone calls and always rubbish information given. No one seemed to care or want to help.

Anyway we get the replacement console - a refurbed one. Is this right? they lost our original console so it wasn't that one we got back but someone elses faulty PS4?

This also broke within 2 weeks :( so we asked for a courier to pick it up after the last time. The guy at PS told us a new one console would be given to us when we handed the faulty one back. The courier had no replacement so we phoned them again. They said we were lying and we wouldn't have been told that. This is what we constantly get with them - different stories everytime. We were also told by someone called Kyle that we would receive compensation - a Game and refunded phone calls. We have since been told where to go and that we wont be getting anything?!

Anyway after a few weeks the 2nd console did not work so we went through the hassle of calling them again - each phone call takes at least an hour as they take 45 mins to answer the phone. Told again that a swap would take place and a brand new console would be sent out.

I came home to find a parcel wedged under my partners exhaust and sent via standard delivery. Anyone could have stolen this from the front of our house! anyway we opened it and it had a missing chunk out of it - looked as though it had been dropped and was not packaged adequately. What can be done about this? Sony are obviously not repairing them properly or doing quality control on the consoles sent out.

That's the short version - we are on our 40th phone call or so now and the people we speak to all seem to have an attitude like its our fault. We feel like this will never end!

We basically want a brand new like for like console but they keep sending us 2nd rate refurbed ones. Is this fair? my partner hardly played on his and knows the history of it and we would have been fine if they had of repaired his but this was lost.

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your contract is with GAME - the retailer.

Depending when you purchased in January and when the fault took place is July, as long as its within 6 months there is no onus on you to prove the item is inherently faulty.

When I used to work at GAME, albeit over 10 years ago now, we used to just exchange faulty consoles for a new one.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Go to game's website, use their webhelp service & they'll give you a number to phone who will provide you with a return authorisation number, give that to the web help & they'll authorise the return & send a new one out.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just as an added note to the above, if they repaired your console, you'd be getting a used console back. I know we have a tendency to see specific items as "ours" but the law generally states you just need to be put in the position you would have been in had the breach not occurred (as per above post though, your statutory rights are with retailer, manufacturer is whatever their warranty terms are). Had this breach not occurred, you would have a used x month old console.

Also, usually game console manufacturers dont send you the same console back as it could leave you waiting a long time. Instead they send you one thats already been repaired so its a quicker turnaround.

May be worth complaining to sony playstation anyway - they may throw a freebie game your way like xbox was doing (if they haven't already).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Thank you all, we didn't even think of going back to Game to start with. I don't know if this is possible now seeing as we have been through 3 other consoles?!

its fair enough that they send a refurbed console out but have they not got a duty to make sure these consoles are fit to send out. the last one we had looked as though someone had played football with it!
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    greenyzoz wrote: »
    Thank you all, we didn't even think of going back to Game to start with. I don't know if this is possible now seeing as we have been through 3 other consoles?!

its fair enough that they send a refurbed console out but have they not got a duty to make sure these consoles are fit to send out. the last one we had looked as though someone had played football with it!
    They have no duty to do anything. Your contract is with the retailer who sold it to you.
  • Ok thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport