does motorbike claim affect car insurance

Options
Hi all just a quick question my son had his bike nicked and torched last week, gutted isnt the word as he only had it 3 months and loved it, now we were at the pont of not claiming as he is taking driving lessons and the bike was only to tie him over and we felt the claim would impact on his car insurance quite heavily, however i contacted he insurance compant and one of the advisers told me that bike insurance does not cross over so a claim made on a bike wont affect car insurance. Has any one else come across this and able to confirm or deny

Cheers

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Each insurer is entitled to take their own view. Certainly most would see RTAs impacting all policies irrespective of car, bike, van etc.

I would argue most would count a theft claim for any motor vehicle against all other motor vehicle policies but always worth checking with the insurers in question
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Inform the insurer in writing - and file the reply, whatever it is!

I made the mistake of reporting my bike theft/torching by phone to my car insurer a while back - to be told quite clearly that it would not cross over and affect my car insurance.

Some three years later, I got a letter out of the blue from the scumbags saying a database search had shown that I had failed to report this (and a minor car claim they had already handled) so my car insurance was to be voided because of it.

They flatly refused to accept they had screwed-up somehow, despite my turning-in copies of their own letters and internal reference numbers (via the repairer) for the other matters they had also lost track-of and went ahead.

This added a good thousand pounds to the cost of my new insurance when I eventually found a firm that would take me-on and trying to pursue a complaint/restitution via the FOS was a complete waste of time!
  • BillJones
    BillJones Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly it's one of the "inconsistencies" in insurance that you'll rarely get your no-caims credited from two wheels to four (or vice-versa), but you'll certainly have a claim on one affecting the other negatively.

I accept that a theft of a bike does suggest that a theft of a car is more likely than would otherwise be the case, but would also assume that decades of claim-free riding would also show a lower likelhood of crashing a car (or having one stolen) than no history at all would suggest.

Paying £1,000 for the car, and £900 for the bikes feels abit excessive, when 90% of my time is spent using the scooter.
  • biscuit1_2
    biscuit1_2 Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Umm, i think i will take the view that more than likely the insurance company will say that a bike claim doesnt affect a car insurance, right up to the point you try to make a claim on your car insurance, shame as i had hoped to recoup some of the money back we paid on the bike to go towards his car which was the initial plan, sell the bike to fund the car, !!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure