LHD car insurance

Options
Filey
Filey Posts: 315 Forumite
My ex, (with whom I am still friends, surprisingly), came back to the UK from living in France in 2008 along with a Citroen Scenic which is now about 13 years old. Despite my telling him, (being an avid MSEer), that it might be better to sell it and buy something else over here he insisted on bringing it back together with all the extra costs involved in re-registering and insuring here, UK.

He insures with Advance and it costs him about £365 per annum to insure it. To be fair it hasn't cost him a lot repairwise. He is not at all money wise. I have suggested he shop around. He tells me his present insurers (Advance)have offered to knock off £50. He has had no claims.

So, my question is, should I advise him to sell it and get something RHD and UK compliant, or can anyone suggest anything else that might be a good idea (for him) in the circumstances.

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He'd have been better selling it there where LHD's are desirable; It's worth almost nothing over here because it's not a UK model and LHD is a nuisance in most cases (you might find someone moving to or travelling in the continent who's looking for a LHD).

But it's here now, so he may as well run it until it becomes ineconomical to repair.

He'll almost always do better shopping around for insurers though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure