R27 question

Options
Hi All

I just need a quick bit of advice about the R27 tax form.
My mother passed away in May and I am the executor. We are currently applying for Probate with the help of a solicitor as I live quite far away and her partner is willing to pay to make things easier on myself.
I'm filling out the R27 form and most of it is quite simple since she didn't earn anything in the time between the start of the tax year and her death apart from Personal Independence Payments.My only confusion is question 12. Do you expect the estate to get any untaxed income or sell any chargeable assets during the administration period?
We will have to sell her house to cover the mortgage and a large secured loan as she only had Accidental Death insurance. So am I right in assuming that I answer yes to question 12 and then no to the second part. We not expecting to get more than what I've already declared on the IHT form.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• nom_de_plume
    Options
    I would say that selling the house is not creating income and would answer no. If you were to rent the house out during the administration period, that would be untaxed income but by selling you are merely converting it into cash and not creating additional wealth.
  • Kev_E
    Kev_E Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your help
    That's what's confused me. Some people have said no like yourself because it's not generating income. I've also read that it should be yes because the house is a chargeable asset and if the value increases over the administration period then we will need to pay Capital Gains Tax on that increase.
    It's all very confusing and I didn't want to be on hold with HMRC for another half hour.
  • nom_de_plume
    nom_de_plume Posts: 959 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a look here.
    Probably better advice than my pure guesswork answer.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    the reality is it makes little difference what you put its just a heads up for hmrc.

if you need to do an admin return you can do that when needed.

hmrc are often happy to work from a simple letter with the relevant details.
  • Kev_E
    Kev_E Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both for your help, it is much appreciated.
    I'll put a yes and then a no and write in after we've sold the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure