Business postage help

edited 1 July 2014 at 12:08AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
13 replies 1K views
darkwarriordarkwarrior Forumite
228 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭
I'm interested in getting into selling on eBay in a limited capacity and have found a dried food item in CostCo that is a lot cheaper than other online competition like eBay sellers and Amazon.

I'm curious if someone can give me advice on what kind of postage would be required and the cost to send an item 28.5cm wide by 42cm long x 16cm high to see if such an endeavor would be worthwhile. The pack itself is fairly light, should be about 1032g, styrofoam packs.

Replies

• ballisticbrianballisticbrian Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    dark warrior, there's a few big problems. Firstly you've told the whole world your idea and where to get it. Anyone can now copy your exact idea. Secondly, you've asked us to do the work for you in working out both if and how it will make money. This is the one bit of work you need to do yourself. It's called "running a business".
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • edited 30 June 2014 at 1:08PM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2014 at 1:08PM
    I have moved this question from the sticky thread as I think it will get overlooked on there.

OP, start by checking RM costs online, use those prices as a benchmark when trying couriers. Always check that your items are allowed or allowed and Insured, as couriers do have a lot of restrictions.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • campdavecampdave Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Presumably you've factored ebay/amazon selling fees into your figures too.
  • mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Hermes would be much cheaper and more secure as it would be tracked. Just make sure the parcel can be dropped without breaking.

Ignore the naysayers on here. Get a couple and see how it goes. If you think you can make some money out of it then why not?
  • sequencesequence Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    You don't need to get a couple to see how it goes, you should be able to work it out without buying any.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in getting into selling on eBay in a limited capacity and have found a dried food item in CostCo that is £10 cheaper than other online competition like eBay sellers and Amazon.
    Several alarm bells ringing for me. The first is Costco, whilst they ay have some decent deals for the average buyer they are generally not a good wholesale source for reselling on Ebay or Amazon. Second, £10 cheaper means that you would need to sell at a lower price being new to selling it, so that's, say £2 off at least, that leaves £8, postage/courier rate for a non account customer would be at least £4 with VAT, that leaves £4 for profit of which Ebay or Amazon take their cut. That's all allowing for the fact that the sellers on Amazon and Ebay are already selling at rock bottom prices. If you undercut them by £2 they may very well undercut you again.
    I'd say a profit of £1-£2 is possible for a short time, only if you can sell high volume would that be worthwhile.
    As you haven't said how much the item costs, the lower the actual price the better chance you have of making a profit, so if it's £1 in Costco and £11 on Ebay then that's great, if it's £90 in Costco and £100 on Ebay then there's no chance.
  • darkwarriordarkwarrior Forumite
    228 Posts
    ✭✭
    RFW wrote: »
    Several alarm bells ringing for me. The first is Costco, whilst they ay have some decent deals for the average buyer they are generally not a good wholesale source for reselling on Ebay or Amazon. Second, £10 cheaper means that you would need to sell at a lower price being new to selling it, so that's, say £2 off at least, that leaves £8, postage/courier rate for a non account customer would be at least £4 with VAT, that leaves £4 for profit of which Ebay or Amazon take their cut. That's all allowing for the fact that the sellers on Amazon and Ebay are already selling at rock bottom prices. If you undercut them by £2 they may very well undercut you again.
    I'd say a profit of £1-£2 is possible for a short time, only if you can sell high volume would that be worthwhile.
    As you haven't said how much the item costs, the lower the actual price the better chance you have of making a profit, so if it's £1 in Costco and £11 on Ebay then that's great, if it's £90 in Costco and £100 on Ebay then there's no chance.

Its £6 in CostCo and £16 on Amazon and Ebay (Something like £16.24).

I get them for myself but seeing how cheap they were I thought it might be a decent thing to sell for tiny profit and build up an eBay reputation as a seller since I have a decent one as a buyer. I was hoping to clear more like £5 per box but I guess there are more things to take into account.
  • darkwarriordarkwarrior Forumite
    228 Posts
    ✭✭
    dark warrior, there's a few big problems. Firstly you've told the whole world your idea and where to get it. Anyone can now copy your exact idea. Secondly, you've asked us to do the work for you in working out both if and how it will make money. This is the one bit of work you need to do yourself. It's called "running a business".

Not so much asking you guys to do the work, I could look on Royal Mail but I thought this being MSE some users would have ideas outside of RM that might be cheaper as obviously I'd like to clear as much profit per box as possible.
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its £6 in CostCo and £16 on Amazon and Ebay (Something like £16.24).

I get them for myself but seeing how cheap they were I thought it might be a decent thing to sell for tiny profit and build up an eBay reputation as a seller since I have a decent one as a buyer. I was hoping to clear more like £5 per box but I guess there are more things to take into account.
    Does the £16 on Amazon include the postage? If so you are going to struggle to make a profit after your postage costs, fees and buying packaging.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    martindow wrote: »
    Does the £16 on Amazon include the postage? If so you are going to struggle to make a profit after your postage costs, fees and buying packaging.

I agree, if the item listed at £16 on Amazon (and you can't tell if it sells at that) you will get only get about £13.50 net inclusive of postage fees. Myhermes postage would be £3.98 collected.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals