Help! Camera bought in shop was stolen

in Techie Stuff
19 replies 1.3K views
My boyfriend bought a camera in a camera shop earlier this year. He's now been contacted on Facebook by someone saying this is his camera - the person got my boyfriends details by running one of his own pictures through a website for people who've had cameras stolen, it then identifies online images (in this case Flickr) taken by the same camera using a unique identifier. From my boyfriends Flickr page he's managed to find his Facebook and linked in pages.

This person says it was stolen a week before the date on my boyfriends receipt from the shop. At first we thought it was a scam because he has been messaging my boyfriend and all his family on Facebook and also emailing us! But looking into the dates I think it might be real.

What should we do?

Replies

• DUTRDUTR Forumite
    13K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My boyfriend bought a camera in a camera shop earlier this year. He's now been contacted on Facebook by someone saying this is his camera - the person got my boyfriends details by running one of his own pictures through a website for people who've had cameras stolen, it then identifies online images (in this case Flickr) taken by the same camera using a unique identifier. From my boyfriends Flickr page he's managed to find his Facebook and linked in pages.

This person says it was stolen a week before the date on my boyfriends receipt from the shop. At first we thought it was a scam because he has been messaging my boyfriend and all his family on Facebook and also emailing us! But looking into the dates I think it might be real.

What should we do?

Why even entertain any dialogue with the sender?
    If the messenger thinks the camera is his and has not claimed off any possible insurance, then he is to take it up with the relevant authorities, if your BF has bought the item in good faith from a traceable seller then , I don't see what any of you are worrying about.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Tell him to go to the shop to discuss it with them.
    As long as he still has his receipt or can provide evidence that he paid for the camera legitimately he should not be in bother.
  • I'm a bit worried because he's now taken to calling my boyfriend - his number was on his linked in!
    He's said that there's a police investigation and has asked us to hand over the camera.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    29.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If there is a police investigation and the police want the camera they can ask for it themselves. I wouldn't be taking the word of some random person off the Internet.
    And there's always the possibility that if it was theirs and they've claimed off the insurance that it now technically belongs to the insurance company. Sit tight till you hear something more official.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Forumite
    I would also tell this person to stop calling him and to go through the police.
  • atolaasatolaas Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    Call his bluff! Get in touch with the police and find out if what this person is saying is true. If not, its got to be a scam. Whatever you do don't hand over the camera without getting in touch with the police. Call 101 for non emergency calls. He can say all he likes...but you have no idea if he is genuine. Let the police handle it and get your bf's number changed ASAP!
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • whitewingwhitewing Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I would either sit tight, or phone the police on the 101 number and explain the situation.

I wouldn't hand over the camera to anyone other than the police (if they have to have it), nor would I contact the shop at this stage.

I wouldn't necessarily say anything to the original person, unless you actually tell him that you are seeking advice from the police yourself. If he did turn up at yours then I would call the police immediately on 101, rather than hand anything over to him.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • force_tenforce_ten Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    tell them you will speak to the police if and when they knock on your door, and tell the person to stop bothering you or you will report them for harassment

you said the camera was bought from a shop, what kind of shop and do you have a receipt for the purchase?
  • Thanks for the advice! We have sent a short message back on Facebook saying not to contact my boyfriend or any of his family (this guy has now phoned up his Aunt too) and we've said we are going to report it to the police as a scam attempt.
  • It was from a fairly large chain used camera shop, and yes we do have the receipt.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals