GRRRRRR 3 mobile

Options
Lost my phone yesterday. Called 3 to cancel the sim yesterday and again today to arrange an upgrade.

I'm 3 months into a 12 month sim only plan, as i bought the lost phone outright. Now they want either £126 early upgrade fee or £106 early termination fee.

Strange that the termination fee is cheaper than the upgrade.

I'm trying to chuck £700 quid and shackle myself to them for the next 2 years, but they seem happy just to take my £106 and have me gone. Although its the quickest i have ever been given a PAC code, last time i was on the phone for 90 minutes, this time i had it in less than 10 mins.

Vent over, think its time for a pint

Comments

• MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Options
    Why not just buy a new phone and see the 12-month SIM only contract out?!
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    Why not just buy a new phone and see the 12-month SIM only contract out?!

That sound too easy
  • kebabkiller
    kebabkiller Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I could just buy the phone outright, but in the end it would end up costing me about £60 more.

Its just crazy that having been a customer for 6 years they have no flexibility. I would have liked to stay with them but looks like i need to go find a better deal somewhere else.

The rest of the families contracts with them are up over the next 4 months, so ill probably change them all over as well, in total they will end up losing about £180 a month.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP, you signed a contract - upgrading before your contract is due to expire is always more expensive than paying out the contract.

Perhaps you may want to have gadget/phone insurance for your phone in future? Technically they have done nothing wrong so the fees stand; you could easily get a cheaper handset and use the sim only plan in that handset - they will send you another sim no problem.

Seems like you are causing yourself problems.
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    I could just buy the phone outright, but in the end it would end up costing me about £60 more.

Its just crazy that having been a customer for 6 years they have no flexibility. I would have liked to stay with them but looks like i need to go find a better deal somewhere else.

The rest of the families contracts with them are up over the next 4 months, so ill probably change them all over as well, in total they will end up losing about £180 a month.

As you were on SIM only and willing to sign up to an expensive contract they perhaps could have been more flexible, but there you go.

Why does buying the phone outright cost more? I've kept my SIM only running for years and just buy a handset when I want, the latest being a £100 Moto G.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    OP you should be ranting at yourself, Three have done absolutely nothing wrong.

And Three offer 1 month rolling SIM only contracts designed specifically for people like you, but you CHOSE to commit to paying a fixed amount for 12 months, for a fixed service!!

Some people just LOL
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A contract is a contract. End of.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • kebabkiller
    kebabkiller Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Yep i know a contract is a contract. In the end i spoke to their executive office and they agreed to drop the upgrade fee to £20, so all sorted.

Its just annoying that i had to jump through hoops. Even the guy in the executive office agreed that it was better for them to tie me into a 2 year contract costing than have me pay for the next 10 months and leave.

So the moral of the story is
    1. Dont be an idiot and get insurance (yes im an idiot, i forgot)
    2. pester them a little bit and you are likely to get a reduction in the cost.
  • MarkBargain
    Options
    1. Dont be an idiot and get insurance (yes im an idiot, i forgot)

I don't think everyone should have specific mobile phone insurance! Unless you have a very expensive handset and get a good value for money comprehensive policy with no/low excess, then you are probably better not being insured. Would insurance even cover the "loss" of a phone i.e. with no police report to say it had been stolen?

Nationwide's £10-a-month Flexplus account insures phones, as well as providing car breakdown cover, worldwide travel insurance, extended warranties on electrical items and 3% in credit interest...so I expect that beats most mobile phone insurance hands down?

Also, you may be able to get phones covered under your house insurance depending what options you take.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Kebabkiller, do you have home contents insurance ?. If so, then your phone will be covered under that. What you should be doing is reporting the lost SIM to '3' and arranging for them to send out a replacement. That way, you get to see out your contract at no extra cost (apart from the insurance excess).
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure