Bad cramp after training

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
11 replies 1.7K views
yessie1209yessie1209 Forumite
16 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Sports and Fitness MoneySaving
I'm training for a half marathon in November. I run about 8 miles 3 times a week, it takes me about an hour each time.

I always warm up and do a cool down walk and stretch but recently have been getting seriously bad cramp in my feet and thighs. It literally comes on whenever, even when im just sat at my desk at work...

Anyone else suffered with this? How can stop it happening?

Replies

• donglemousedonglemouse Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    you run 8 miles - three times per week?

you might want to look at half marathon training programs - as the norm is to run a mix of distances i.e. some shorter runs at a relatively fast pace mixed up with longer slower runs, it's generally more effective than just repeatedly running the same distance & pace over and over

8 miles per hour for an hour is quite a fast pace to run three times a week - could you be overtraining? especially if you have relatively quick gone from no/little running to 20+ miles per week

some other suggestions
    - are you drinking enough fluids? and eating sensibly?
    - are you wearing appropriate footwear for running?
    - have you thought about complementing the running with other lower impact exercises such as swimming, cycling etc?
  • I thought this was only me! I sometimes wake up in the night with insane foot or calf cramp - it's horrible. I don't do any running or cardio related fitness at all - I lift weights (I will do cardio soon, honest!). So I'll be watching this thread closely!
    Does the walker choose the path or the path the walker?

Lift heavy & squat deep.
  • edited 27 June 2014 at 11:43PM
    LizlingLizling Forumite
    882 Posts
    edited 27 June 2014 at 11:43PM
    Low electrolyte levels or imbalances of electrolyte types cause that. Try an electrolyte drink after workouts.

If that doesn't help, you should probably see a doctor because a quick Google turns up quite a list of other possible causes.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • I am sorry I cannot help as I have never ever, not even once, had cramp.
  • ljonskiljonski Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    loss of salt through sweating is usually the cause of cramp
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • gardengullgardengull Forumite
    117 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Google cramp and quinine. Quinine is in both tonic water and bitter lemon drinks.
    Whoops there goes another year, there goes another pint of :beer:
  • ManofLeisure_2ManofLeisure_2 Forumite
    528 Posts
    ✭✭
    Cramp can also be due to anaemia. Perhaps a word with your GP might be a good idea.
  • kingslayerkingslayer Forumite
    602 Posts
    One of the most common culprit for cramping is lack of potassium. I would suggest that next time you train, buy a bottle of coconut water. It contains about 3x the potassium levels of those of bananas. But make sure the coconut water you buy is made using 100% coconut.

Here are a couple of brands of coconut water to look out for. Sometimes you can find them in a local londis store or your main supermarket.

http://shop.tropicalsunfoods.com/tropical-sun-100-natural-coconut-water-1-litre.html?___store=default

http://images.iherb.com/l/VTC-01000-5.jpg

drink coconut water instead of normal water or any other energy drink. If you don't see a reduction in cramping, then visit your GP and explain it to him.
  • delmar39delmar39 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    you run 8 miles - three times per week?

you might want to look at half marathon training programs - as the norm is to run a mix of distances i.e. some shorter runs at a relatively fast pace mixed up with longer slower runs, it's generally more effective than just repeatedly running the same distance & pace over and over

8 miles per hour for an hour is quite a fast pace to run three times a week - could you be overtraining? especially if you have relatively quick gone from no/little running to 20+ miles per week

some other suggestions
    - are you drinking enough fluids? and eating sensibly?
    - are you wearing appropriate footwear for running?
    - have you thought about complementing the running with other lower impact exercises such as swimming, cycling etc?

Plenty of reasons why noted on this thread but I agree with this post re training - you shouldn't be running 3 x 8 miles at that pace. Some tempo runs yes but the longer weekend run is usually at an easy or slow pace. Is it your first half marathon? You don't need to belt it all the time go on something like runners world and download a plan. No harm in getting checked by your GP/physio. Best of luck.

• Gra76Gra76 Forumite
    801 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I fix my cramps by chugging plenty of tonic water and eatting a few bananas. I only run 5k 3 times a week and weight train on top of that. I always sweat buckets. The tonic water/bananas combo seems to work for me fairly quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals