🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Item Not Received - Giving A Refund

Options
Just a quick question. A buyer has opened a claim. Item sold on 16th for £18 and I posted on 19th of this month via 2nd class normal post. I got proof of postage.

It has not been received and he has opened a claim and wants a refund. I asked him if he could wait a bit longer and he has said no when I sent him the proof of postage via a message on eBay.

Do I just go ahead and refund him before he escalates it or is it within my rights to make him wait for 10/14 days (going to check with RM what the official number of days is before it is classed as lost) before I refund him as it might have been delayed?

I totally get it from his point of view if he wanted the item quickly and does not want to wait around in case it does not turn up.

Thanks in advance.

PS. If I refund him and then the item turns up, isn't it free item and full refund? I'm not saying the buyer is lying or will, it's just something that crossed my mind.

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Refund before he escalates, but he can't do that for 7 days from opening the claim, so it does give you a little leigh way, but not quite as much as the number of days Royal Mail expect you to wait before making a claim. In other words, eBays system differs from that of the people who actually deliver the mail.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mimi1234 wrote: »
    Just a quick question. A buyer has opened a claim. Item sold on 16th for £18 and I posted on 19th of this month via 2nd class normal post. I got proof of postage.

It has not been received and he has opened a claim and wants a refund. I asked him if he could wait a bit longer and he has said no when I sent him the proof of postage via a message on eBay.

Do I just go ahead and refund him before he escalates it or is it within my rights to make him wait for 10/14 days (going to check with RM what the official number of days is before it is classed as lost) before I refund him as it might have been delayed? YES

I totally get it from his point of view if he wanted the item quickly and does not want to wait around in case it does not turn up.

Thanks in advance.

PS. If I refund him and then the item turns up, isn't it free item and full refund? I'm not saying the buyer is lying or will, it's just something that crossed my mind. One of the many joys of ebay

You have very few rights as a seller on ebay - your only right is to sell and for ebay to take their cut.

If your buyer chooses to keep it and not inform you it has arrived, if it arrives after you have refunded, that's how it is.

If your buyer has already received it and is lying that they haven't received it, that's how it is.

You'll need to claim via RM for the lost item - you'll need to wait the RM time stated for lost items but ebay do not put that requirement on the system for issuing refunds for items lost in the post.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,355 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I would never risk sending a scan of a POP to a buyer it winds people up as it is completely nothing to do with them, unless they are of course officially accusing you of being a liar and not sending and you are defending yourself.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I would never risk sending a scan of a POP to a buyer it winds people up as it is completely nothing to do with them, unless they are of course officially accusing you of being a liar and not sending and you are defending yourself.

The buyer specifically said in the case details that he wanted to see proof of postage, so I did, but thanks for letting me know. I will bear that in mind in the future. Mind you, once my last few bits and pieces sell, that's it. I'm having a huge clearout, so whatever I can find, will be sold and that's it for me. :D

Thanks to all for the responses. It really is much appreciated.
  • luvvlyjubbly
    luvvlyjubbly Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Options
    You would think in this day and age everything could be tracked without having to pay a £1 more!
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.:D
  • soolin
    Options
    You would think in this day and age everything could be tracked without having to pay a £1 more!

Seriously? The thousands and thousands of items chucked into mail boxes every day by people as well as the thousands of things going over the PO counters?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Seriously? The thousands and thousands of items chucked into mail boxes every day by people as well as the thousands of things going over the PO counters?
    They manage it in Australia, and all priority stuff in the states.
  • soolin
    Options
    They manage it in Australia, and all priority stuff in the states.

So the States is the same as us then as our priority mail is tracked. Australia do not track everything , even the Australian post web site states that 'much' of their parcel mail is tracked, not all mail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport