How do these idiots get my username and email address anyway??

Options
mrs_sparrow
mrs_sparrow Posts: 1,917 Forumite
I seem to have been inundated with these recently - usually you can tell but I have not see this one before tonight. i have removed my details but they are all correct :mad: :

Comments

• Whiner
    Whiner Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    You might want to remove those hyperlinks, they are still clickable...
  • mrs_sparrow
    mrs_sparrow Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Options
    Whiner wrote: »

Yes I know, but no-one is that silly are they......??? They show that it's being redirected away from eBay. For that very reason, I left them on and have pointed out it is a scam!!

The last 10-12 emails from 'ebay' I have (since Sunday) have included my username.
  • craftycrafty
    craftycrafty Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had this same problem a while ago, not only with eBay. I changed my password on all of my accounts as I was advised to do to be on the safe side. It does seemed to have worked.
    And as you already know never click through the links.
    14 in 2014 in memory of Soulie. 5/14 completed:o
    weight loss 1 / 6:T
    GC June £150 wks1&2 £113-10 wk 3 £13.44 NSD 7
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I've been getting Second Chance offers, in a similar format, also with my username and real name too.

The give away is that is doesn't appear in my Ebay messages, and also requests payment by Western Union.
  • Whiner
    Whiner Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I know, but no-one is that silly are they......???

They sure are! Thats why these scammers are still about.

I thought people werent that daft these days, and that scammers were well knows, but two people where I work were almost scammed recently.

One out of an iPad, he couldn't see he was being scammed, and one bloke almost got scammed out of £5500 for a car advertised ludicrously low priced on Autotrader. Even when I told him it was a scam, and gave about 6 reasons why, he still refused to believe me...!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whiner wrote: »

I agree, the links should be removed.

Your one post will be seen by more people than the email sent to you.

Someone could click in error and not realise.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just assumed they get them off eBay. It shows your e-mail and username on every listing if your a business. I got this one as well as it showed up on my phone but I never even bothered to look at it.

It amazes me with my facebook customers how many of them refuse to use pay pal and want to pay by bank transfer ~ even after I explain if I send them a pay pal invoice they can pay by card its 'to complicated'

I saw someone last week selling a dress for £200 and someone offered £600 and was so obviously just messing her around and yet she was like yes please!! What's going on? Don't you want it now? Can someone please tell me what's happening?

-.-
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Back in the day when user ids appeared on bidding they targetted buyers who had their username similar to their user id.
    So if your Ebay id is "Seller12345" they used bots to send to all the email address, eg seller12345@gmail.com, then @hotmail.com. There's enough that have that as their email that it was worth them doing. One regular customer queried a second chance offer and forwarded me the email. I managed to have an exchange of emails with a "nice chap" in Nigeria who tried to sell me my own stock!
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    I just assumed they get them off eBay. It shows your e-mail and username on every listing if your a business. I got this one as well as it showed up on my phone but I never even bothered to look at it.

The email address shown on my listings is not my registered email address so any "ebay" type emails that come through to this address I disregard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure