Returning to University..?

Options
Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice on my options really.

I have recently been left with no choice but to withdraw from University. I have used the maximum amount of years I was allowed to complete my 3-year degree (max 5 years: from 2009 to 2014) and have not been well enough to finish. I have had to take two interruption periods during my time at uni, due to depression. I withdraw in my final year, just before the final examinations. I understand this seems like a very stupid thing to do, but unfortunately my depression was severe during the examinations and I basically just gave up.

Anyway, I'm just wondering where to go from here. I would love to go back to uni in the future, when I am more well. I spent a massive amount of time and energy on my degree and for it to be for nothing is such a big waste. Would I be able to get a tuition fee loan if I did go back? If not, what would be the best way to raise such funds? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Jessica

Comments

• bubblegum1985
    Options
    Hi

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Barclays do a career development loan, however this is like a usual bank loan where you start paying it back at the end of the term and it's a fixed amount which you pay regardless of your income.

Can you talk to the uni about extenuating circumstances or maybe just resist your exams?
  • jessporter91
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes that is an option - although it seems that would only cover me for 1 years worth of tuition fees.

It seems as though I've reached my limit - 5 years max.
  • whodathunkit
    whodathunkit Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Much more realistic would be to transfer the credits you've already achieved and finish your degree with the OU. You'd only have to find fees for 120 credits and you could spread them over the two years of study normally required rather than paying up front.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have achieved at least 240 credits your uni may be able to award you a Diploma of Higher Education. Or if you have done most of the year and just need to take a few exams could you do these during the resit period in the summer and finish off your degree- talk to the uni about your medical circumstances and see what they suggest. As above poster said you could take your credits elsewhere and just top up with one year more of study. The OU is a bit cheaper than other unis and you can do part time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure