play.com, does anyone here still sell with them

Options
Having looked at play.com today it appears that their prices for selling on the site have rose considerably since I last sold a few bits there. £43 for a shop seems steep compared to Amazon and ebay and I can find no mention of the old playtrade option which at least gave you a presence on the site without any upfront fees.

Does anyone here still sell on play and is it still worth being on the site as a seller?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Having looked at play.com today it appears that their prices for selling on the site have rose considerably since I last sold a few bits there. £43 for a shop seems steep compared to Amazon and ebay and I can find no mention of the old playtrade option which at least gave you a presence on the site without any upfront fees.

Does anyone here still sell on play and is it still worth being on the site as a seller?

Thanks in advance.
    They're very much a professional seller site. I tried to negotiate with a rep to see if I could get an introductory deal to see how it went but they didn't want to know at the time.
    Rakuten are a big player so have plenty of money to burn to get it right. I know a couple of people doing well on it but my personal opinion is that, as far as my business goes, I could put that fee into my own website.
  • melliott1963
    melliott1963 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Never sold, only bought.

But, to be honest, since Play.com stopped selling their own stuff and went over to a 'market place' only site, I've stopped using them. Prior to that I was ordering stuff every few weeks.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sold anything for a number of years now, way before Rakuten were involved, did order a fair bit of stuff from them in the past.
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    Options
    had nothing but trouble with them pretty much from the day Rakuten took over
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buyer only here and I have never used them since the change either.

I used to buy all my memory and memory cards etc. But when it changed one seller had listed hundreds of SD cards so finding ones from another seller was a nightmare.

I gave up and never looked at the site since.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure