Help to word this email

Options
Hope someone is around to help me !

Always thought I had it straight in my head how I would deal with a [STRIKE]conning, lying, thief[/STRIKE] buyer who claims INR but now it's happened to me for a high value my mind is in bits trying to put a good email together to send them - please help me !

Sold 12 x an item on 12 June at £20 a POP, 11 are received and feedback left. I have had an email today from the buyer who bought the one I haven't had feedback for and they are claiming INR and I KNOW they are lying. Call it gut instinct or the way it is worded but I just know deep down they have their item

I know I need to make them open a case etc. but how can I word the email to say [STRIKE]I know you are a lying cheating scumbag[/STRIKE] I'm sorry you have not received your item and open a case etc. etc. to make them think twice about claiming INR

They have low feedback and I cannot tell from any of their other transactions if they have been refunded or not (but I'm betting they have !)

I read one somewhere on here where someone had worded an email perfectly along the lines of:

I need you to open a case so Ebay can keep a log/record or something along those lines etc. etc. and I can't really remember the rest of the wording but I remember thinking ooh that's a good way to word it

Can anyone help ? Or has anyone sent one of these recently ?

Comments

• Irn-Bru-Kid
    Irn-Bru-Kid Posts: 614 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly, you can't possibly 'know they are lying' unless you sent the item tracked and can prove that it was delivered.

Things do get lost from time to time, but there is also a lot of scammers on eBay. You just need to take it on the chin.

Ask them to confirm their postal address is correct. Tell them you will contact their local delivery office (google the postcode + delivery office) and make inquiries. If unsuccessful, then ask them to open a case.

Unless you can prove delivery, you have no chance. You can't call the buyer a liar and anything that implies that he/she is, will only get their backs up.

However, as opening a case will now be a defect on your account and I believe you can only get one defect per transaction, you could play tough.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above you can't know they are lying. For your own peace of mind deal with it politely, through gritted teeth if necessary and just use your POP to reclaim the loss from RM.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • timeforacoffee
    Options
    Of course, yes I don't know they are lying but after thousands of transactions and how easily it is to spot a genuine claimant now, I just suspect they have it

Ah well, never mind, does this sound ok ?

Thank you for your email.
    Your item was sent to you 2nd Class on 13 June, so I'm sorry it hasn't reached you yet.

Could you please confirm your postal address is correct ?
    I will make enquiries tomorrow with your nearest RM depot and your delivery office in the morning as to the missing parcel to find out if they have it and have just not left a card for you

If your item has still not arrived by tomorrow, you will need to open an case for 'Item Not Received' so I can investigate and get the necessary paperwork together so I can resolve

Arghhh help, it doesn't read well and I know it !
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Check your seller metrics before asking them to raise a case. You will get a defect for the case being opened whether you resolve it or not so make sure it doesn't push you in to losing TRS which could be more costly in the long run than just replacing or refunding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure