Pingit and Paym on ebay

Options
Does anyone know if it's ok to say you accept pingit and Paym as an additional form of payment in eBay listings?

Thank you

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They don't seem to be specifically banned by name, but I doubt anyone will use them as PayPal is so ingrained. As a buyer I would see no advantage in using anything other than PayPal.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Irn-Bru-Kid
    Irn-Bru-Kid Posts: 614 Forumite
    Options
    I can't see anyone choosing to pay by either of these options. No buyer protection.
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    You can certainly say you accept them, but it's unlikely anyone will use them.
  • sequence
    sequence Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with the others, no reason you can't offer them. But I wouldn't pay by them since there's no buyer protection.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    The accepted payments policy states that 'Paying using online or other payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy' are NOT allowed.

If these payment types can be classed as bank transfers, you should be OK but this is ebay we are talking about. Maybe best to ask them.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PayM/Pingit is a P2P system same as Paypal.

PayM requires that the user has a Bank or Building Society account and so in theory, is less prone to fraud. Whether Ebay can legally prohibit the use of systems other than Paypal is debateable.

However, there is nothing stopping you offering PayM (or indeed 'Google Checkout', ' Skrill' or 'PPPay'). The only thing standing in your way is the small fact that Paypal is so engrained into every day life that convincing people to use other methods is hard.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Irn-Bru-Kid
    Irn-Bru-Kid Posts: 614 Forumite
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    PayM/Pingit is a P2P system same as Paypal.

PayM requires that the user has a Bank or Building Society account and so in theory, is less prone to fraud. Whether Ebay can legally prohibit the use of systems other than Paypal is debateable.

However, there is nothing stopping you offering PayM (or indeed 'Google Checkout', ' Skrill' or 'PPPay'). The only thing standing in your way is the small fact that Paypal is so engrained into every day life that convincing people to use other methods is hard.

Paypal being ingrained into everyday life is not the only thing standing in their way. People will not buy if they do not get protection and with these other methods, you have no recourse if something goes wrong.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paypal being ingrained into everyday life is not the only thing standing in their way. People will not buy if they do not get protection and with these other methods, you have no recourse if something goes wrong.

That is the most important thing for buyers, it doesn't matter what we sellers want or what is convenient for us - buyers are now savvy enough to understand that ultimately they need to protect themselves.

The good old days when buyers would happily send postal orders or even cash through the post have gone. Too many scammers have taken away the trust that other methods of payment need .

I remember using Nochex a few years back, then suddenly there was a whole lot of negative reports about how buyers were not protected and buyers moved away from it in droves.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    About the only way I can see PayM being useful is an alternative to 'cash on collection' - I do 'cash on collection' so obviously don't accept Paypal for no postage items, and am offering PayM as an alternative to someone going to the cashpoint in that instance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure