We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Where best to buy

Options
Hi, I know nothing about gardening, so sorry if I sound naive :o, I want to start patio gardening, so I want to buy some hanging baskets and containers for potting plants. Where's the best place to buy the containers from? I was thinking metal or blue ceramic, rather than those nasty looking dark orange ones. I thought I'd go to B & Q, but some of them look really expensive. My other thoughts are Homebase, the Range, Wilko's and B & M, but I've not looked at their websites yet. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm sure Asda had some at the weekend when I went but I wasnt really paying attention as I wasnt looking for them

Homebase are doing their 15% off again this weekend ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    aldi have them in their regular promotions but whether they will have any more...................
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My local Home Bargains had a nice set of 3 blue ceramic pots for £10 but they had gone by the time I got back with my big strong son. You might be luckier.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Reen wrote: »
    My local Home Bargains had a nice set of 3 blue ceramic pots for £10 but they had gone by the time I got back with my big strong son. You might be luckier.

my B&Q had those too - lovely big sizes, all 3 of the pots, for £10.
  • emily_jackson
    emily_jackson Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, am going to B & Q tomorrow with my brother in law to get some paving slabs to finish off the patio, so if I get chance will have a look at the pots. I've seen some nice pots on Homebase's website, so will try and get those this weekend if it's 15% off. Does anyone know if you get nectar points at Homebase?
  • lily117
    lily117 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, am going to B & Q tomorrow with my brother in law to get some paving slabs to finish off the patio, so if I get chance will have a look at the pots. I've seen some nice pots on Homebase's website, so will try and get those this weekend if it's 15% off. Does anyone know if you get nectar points at Homebase?

Yes you do :)
  • Pipkin
    Pipkin Posts: 575 Forumite
    edited 25 June 2014 at 8:33AM
    Options
    I bought a load of terracotta pots from B and Q one year, and painted them all different colours using paint testers - they looked lovely. I do have to sand and repaint them every year, but if I had varnished them that first year I reckon I would not have needed to do that. They stay out all winter, and have done for years, and out of about 30 I reckon maybe 2 have cracked and been lost? They were very cheap, I think maybe £1.50 ish for the bigger size? and often on offer, buy so many get one free. I always get lots of compliments for them, and they look bright and sunny and cheerful. Photo shows a few of them this year.

pots.jpg
    M.A.C.A.W member number 39 :D

Those who are inclined to casual cruelty say that inside a fat girl is a thin girl and a lot of chocolate. Terry Pratchett
  • emily_jackson
    emily_jackson Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They look nice! I can't really plant anything in the grass as the council cuts it, but we have an unfinished patio that the previous tenant must have started, so my first job is to get that finished next week and then hopefully do some container gardening. I also want to put some hanging baskets up as well
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure