We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

My credit rating

Hi Folks,

Hope all is well.

I filed for bankruptcy in 2010 due to getting well and truly caught in the property decline during the recession.

I basically had a property which dropped by over £100K in value so there was no way out other than to fold all my cards as such.

Since then I have been happily moving along with my bank account and no other forms of credit.

I have always assumed my credit history is now goosed for 6 years or so - however, I recently downloaded by Experian credit report.

According to the report my credit rating is excellent and the only negative on my file is not being on the electoral role which I am now sorting out.

Paying my broadband, direct debits, gas/electric, gym membership and keeping a small £300 over draft in order for many years seems to have built up a good score.

One thing that has caught me by surprise is that my bankruptcy is not on file anywhere ?? I assumed it stays on my file for 6 years?

Any help on as to why it's not there?

Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Comments

  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have you looked at your files held by all the CRA's ?
  • who else could / should I check with?

    I assume Experian is just one credit referencing company?
  • surely this information would be stored on every CRA company?
  • You should also check Noddle (CallCredit) and Equifax.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

    ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.