NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Newbie with questions

Hi, I'm new here and just after a bit of advice.

I am 22 and live alone in a one bedroom council flat.

I currently work full time (40hrs/week) but the company is closing at Christmas, so I'll be made redundant.

I'm hunting for a new job already as I've only been at the company for five years, so my redundancy money is not really worth hanging on for if I can find a good job beforehand.

However - I am getting worried, should there be a period where I am out of work.

I'm trying to save a little so I have a bit behind me, but my job pays minimum wage so after rent, bills, car insurance and petrol, credit card etc I don't have much left that I'm able to put away, so the savings are hardly mounting up!

I guess I'm just asking if - should worse come to worse - there is any help I would be entitled to? Or where I might find this information out?

Replies

• London50London50 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    As you are being made redundant {sorry to hear it}, if you have not found work you should be able to sign on and may be entitled to help with your rent ect until you are back in employment again. Your local JSA should be able to give you some info but I hope that you will have work before you need to go down that path . Good luck :0)
  • Yes - the news about rent is not great, though. Unless you are a vulnerable person (disabled, for example) housing benefit will be tiny - HB for those under 35 is only enough to pay for a room in a shared flat. If you look online you will be able to find out what the max rate is in your area. You should get JSA, however.

Also, if you are under notice of redundancy, your employer has to give you a reasonable amount of PAID time off work to look for another job :)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Yes - the news about rent is not great, though. Unless you are a vulnerable person (disabled, for example) housing benefit will be tiny - HB for those under 35 is only enough to pay for a room in a shared flat. If you look online you will be able to find out what the max rate is in your area. You should get JSA, however.

Also, if you are under notice of redundancy, your employer has to give you a reasonable amount of PAID time off work to look for another job :)

40% of a single week must be paid and the rest can be unpaid.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum