Dropped out and studying at openuni, will I get a tuition fee loan for final 2 years?

Options
Greg89
Greg89 Posts: 322 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 20 June 2014 at 9:25PM in Student MoneySaving
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, I spent two years at uni, just passed the retake year of the first year.

I'm now studying at the open university and have paid for my first year, which I am doing part time, however, I will do my final two years full time.

I've been told I am eligible for the final two years of my degree but not the first year countless times by Student Finance England. However, I will have to complete a part time form for this criteria.

I'm just a bit worried they may turn my application down, I heard somewhere the decision will be debatable since I've already been to uni, but not completed my degree.

I'd like to know your opinions regarding this matter?

Your comments are much appreciated.

Comments

• Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I thought it was the case that you can get funding if you previously didn't complete the degree- I've had three previous years of funding but I'm being fully funded for my OU degree- I'm in my first year at the moment.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Greg89
    Greg89 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Mrs_Ryan,

Thank you for your response, may I ask how you recieiving your funding at the moment for your OU degree? Have you paid back your tuition fee loan for your previous degree?

Moreover, the general rule is that I should get funding for the final two years.
  • whodathunkit
    whodathunkit Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Just checking that you know that, even if you study for 120 credits in a year with the OU, that doesn't count as full time study.

Have you applied for credit for the year's study you've already completed?
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I never had tuition fee loans so maybe that's why? I went to my first brick uni back in '99 when you either paid tuition fees or you didn't and as my parents were both very severely disabled the only income counted was Mum's incapacity benefit and Dad's Severe Disablement Allowance so I had my fees paid in full by Newcastle LEA. The second one was a nursing diploma funded by the NHS so I had no fees there either- maybe that's why? I have student loans but not the tuition fee loans- the repayments are suspended on my student loans at the moment anyway as I'm on ESA.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure