Cat problem in a flat?

Comments

• ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    My son in Australia lives in an apartment with his girlfriend and they have trained both of their Burmese cats who cannot go out, to use the toilet. When he first mentioned it, I did not believe it was possible but just look at all the You Tube videos to see it for yourself. They started when the cats were still very young, and nearly gave up when one didn't seem to be getting it, but persevered. We are visiting them in September so will see them "in action!"
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OP - put the litter tray where you want to. Cats are adaptable; they'll deal with it.

End of. ;)
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it's space/smell etc you're worried about, try googling 'Ikea hack litter tray' - some pretty great ideas there!
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would put it in the bathroom. You can just put any faeces straight into the loo and flush it. Much easier do deal with. The litter itself can't be flushed though.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I believe there is a view that teaching cats to use the loo isn't actually good for them - they can't adopt a 'natural' position while balanced on the loo seat, maybe - so just keep that in mind too.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Swanlander wrote: »
    I need to downsize to a flat and there are several two bedroomed flats locally that would be suitable. My problem is my housecat. Where do you put the litter tray in a flat? There is no problem is my current abode. I can only think I should have to let him go but he has been with me 6 years (he is about 12). Any thoughts?

Are you sure you`re not wanting an excuse to get rid of your cat?
  • skogar
    skogar Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Where do you have in in your current house? Is bathroom a possibility? If the cat is a house cat anyway it's unlikely to be phased by not being able to go out. Our previous one (a stray) would have got out by any means possible and would have demolished everything in the flat in his efforts / frustration!

The cat rescue places have real problems with the number of cats requiring rehoming. The one we got our new one from had over 300 waiting for a place at the rescue centre. So I'm sure you'll be able to find a place for the litter tray. Ours is at the far end of the kitchen right by the back door. Not ideal but the best we can do. No way that I wouldn't have the cat! I lasted less than a week when the previous one died before ringing the cat rescue! :)
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 61.5/66.5 coupons remaining
    1 cardigan
  • gik
    gik Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Swanlander wrote: »
    I need to downsize to a flat and there are several two bedroomed flats locally that would be suitable. My problem is my housecat. Where do you put the litter tray in a flat? There is no problem is my current abode. I can only think I should have to let him go but he has been with me 6 years (he is about 12). Any thoughts?

My thoughts are your problem is not your housecat. Your problem is you. Animals are not a possession that you can discard. I lived in a one bedroomed flat with two cats and I could have put the litter tray in at least three places. Where there's a will there's a way!
  • shegha
    shegha Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Come again?!:rotfl: I wanna train mine to do that!
    I've trained my cat to use a human toilet using a 'litter kwitter'
    it's great only need to flush the loo, saved loads on cat litter
  • Swanlander
    Swanlander Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all the responses. I DO need to move and it has to be a flat. At the moment the litter tray is in a utility area so quite OK. When I look at photos of flats for sale - say McArthey Stone or similar - the kitchens are so small and I cannot see where the litter tray would go. The bathroom is a good idea though but again they seem so small. The other option would be in the second bedroom which would be my home office.
    I do like the option of a closed in litter tray - would the cat adapt to this?
    I don't mind keeping him but I have to be practical and I know that due to health reasons a flat is my only option. Where I live now is too large to maintain. I would hate to think the cat would never be rehomed. He was my wifes and after she died I decided to keep him for company and I am glad I did.
    November 2010 - a Jamie Oliver book
    December 2010 - a pair of earrings. A silk scarf - both on the daily Spin to Win competition.
    Animated snow leopard and Meerkat Manor goodie bag from Discovery TV
    £10 in local photo contest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family