New Post Advanced Search

Shopping in-store, online or by phone? Your consumer rights are now boosted

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
40 replies 6K views
Former_MSE_PalomaFormer_MSE_Paloma
531 posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
Shoppers now have more protection when buying goods and services and greater rights when things go wrong ...
Read the full story:

Shopping in-store, online or by phone? Your consumer rights are now boosted
OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just checked and sports direct are still adding items to the basket, the mug for £1 !
    Pre-ticked boxes are banned

Additional payments or add-ons must not be set on default when you're placing an order where you could incur extra charges if you haven't actively had to untick certain boxes.

But this doesn't apply to pre-ticked boxes that may sign you up to a newsletter or marketing emails. If you don't want to get on a mailing list, you'll need to opt out by unticking the box.
  • SparxSparx Forumite
    909 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked at a few websites I knew had premium 08 numbers for customer service, to my shock and horror they now all have landline and freephone 03 numbers!

Also tried the likes of SCS who now no longer automatically pre-tick the 5 year 'sofa guard' for an extra £120 at checkout.

Mobiles.co.uk have stopped pre-ticking the insurance box at checkout.

Looks like most have taken heed by this new law fairly quickly. :)
  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I'm pedantic but the time limit for cancelling hasn't been doubled. It used to be a minimum of 9 calendar days. Double would be 18 calendar days.

However there is one major downside (from a consumers perspective) to the new regulations. And that is allowing the retailer to make a deduction for any "diminished value due to consumer handling".

I know there probably were a minority of consumers who damaged items and tried to return them but how many retailers are there that flout the law already by not refunding delivery charges, by not accepting returns unless packaging is in tact or unopened, by saying they were exempt on hygiene grounds or because they were customised when really they were selected from presets/options given by the retailer?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • willihamwilliham Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Amazon still selects first class postage over free, is this allowed now?
  • brisbris Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who cancels or asks for a refund has 14 days to return the goods (you may have to pay for the return cost), otherwise traders can withhold refunds until the goods are returned and they can reduce the amount of money refunded.

That is certainly new and a big plus for the retailer, before they had to refund regardless of whether they got the goods back or not, a bit common sense, the retailers had the short end of the stick there. Maybe now the buyers will be a bit more careful when ordering.

As for the rest the only real difference I can see is the time to return is now 14 calendar days. The rest most retailers will just ignore as always.
  • edited 14 June 2014 at 9:54AM
    SuperHanSuperHan Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 June 2014 at 9:54AM
    bris wrote: »
    Anyone who cancels or asks for a refund has 14 days to return the goods (you may have to pay for the return cost), otherwise traders can withhold refunds until the goods are returned and they can reduce the amount of money refunded.

That is certainly new and a big plus for the retailer, before they had to refund regardless of whether they got the goods back or not, a bit common sense, the retailers had the short end of the stick there. Maybe now the buyers will be a bit more careful when ordering.

As for the rest the only real difference I can see is the time to return is now 14 calendar days. The rest most retailers will just ignore as always.

Another biggie from looking at the official docs is that refunds can be partial if the item is used. No software configuration allowed for computers, no installation of kitchen appliances etc etc, you can unpack to as you would see in a shop, but protective seals must be kept in place for a full refund.

From the general spirit, I wonder how this affects hygiene products, as it seems reading between the lines that opened hygiene products won't be refunded in full, as you couldn't do that in the shop I can't find an explicit reference though....

***EDIT***
    Found the belo. Seems my suspicions were correct.
    The rights conferred by this Part cease to be available in the following circumstances—
    (a) in the case of a contract for the supply of sealed goods which are not suitable for return due to health protection or hygiene reasons, if they become unsealed after delivery;
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    53.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Key changes under the new regulations, which apply when shopping in-store, online or over the phone, include:
    • Doubling the time limit for cancelling contracts and returning goods from seven working days to 14 calendar days.
    I think this statement is unintentionally misleading and needs clarification at the very start.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • mikbmikb Forumite
    285 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Considering how long this has been coming for, you'd think big companies would be ready to switch over on the day, or even before.

BBC Local Radio: have moved their numbers from 0845 to 0345, even though it's not really a "customer care" number, and they cut you off and call back anyway. Full marks. They started the change a while back.

HSBC: Still using 0845 numbers for customer "care" (website, paper statements), I wonder how long before they catch up to the law?
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    looking at all the banks its more or less the same , are they excluded as we are not actually buying from them ?
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browntoa wrote: »
    looking at all the banks its more or less the same , are they excluded as we are not actually buying from them ?

Sorry for the source but it provides the information you're after

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2603078/Banks-told-stop-using-premium-rate-0845-numbers-customers-ring-help.html

Basically financial and government sectors were exempt.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support