Holiday insurance that pays out?

Hello,
I'm traveling with my wife to Majorca this summer, I've always gone with insure & go top policy, having watched Benidorm ER etc and seen people kicked out of hospital due to lack of cover I asked the question, only to be told that they only cover FREE public hospitals!!
My question is, who has had a claim paid out and by whom? Price is not the issue cover is ! Seen on Benidorm ER insurance companies paying out for heart operations broken legs etc yet others refusing to pay anything and leaving people with huge bills and having to move to public hospitals

I need full cover

I'm new to MSE. So if I'm in the wrong place please point me in the right direction

Phil

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Welcome.

You start with Martin's article on travel insurance, and then you look at the discussion to see who 'rates' which policy.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Don't forget to take your EHIC with you as well.
  • We have travel insurance with the Co-Op. I have a multitude of pre-existing conditions including insulin dependent diabetes, heart disease and am over 75. No medical screening and everything covered except those illnesses treated by a Consultant.

Paid out a huge claim, in excess of £10K, with no problems and were a tower of strength keeping us fully informed, liaising with the hospital, arranging transport home etc.

We can only get Europe cover. Just renewed and cost £290 for an annual policy for two of us.
  • I think people should be careful not just to travel with only an Ehic card as some Spanish hospitals have turned people away in the past even thought they are not meant to!

Maybe look at someone like Good to go insurance who have a good reputation with the over 50s?
  • Muppet81Muppet81 Forumite
    949 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    My 93 year old Dad and his partner of 89, both with existing medical conditions, were insured with Explorer Travel.

This was the only company who would insure them and they were not keen as Dad and partner were traveling to Spain where medical costs are high. They did finally agree to cover though. They felw out at Easter this year.

I was always scared that when push came to shove, would they be any good.

Well, both dad and partner ended up being taken ill in Spain and Dad was hospitalised. They missed their flight home.

I flew out to help them.

The hospital/medical costs were all met by the EHIC cards.

Explorer were brilliant. I rang to explain the situation BEFORE I flew out, as soon as I knew they had problems. This is important.

Explorer put their claims company onto the job and they contacted me every day to assess things. They gave me loads of support and good advice.

Once I got medical clearance for Dad and partner to fly home, Explorer sorted out flights, not just for them but for me as well as a non medical carer for return journey. They booked 3 seats for them so they had space and 2 for me so I could easily get up/down to help them. They organised wheelchair and baggage assistance at both ends of the flight.

In short they were amazing. I cannot thank them enough for what they did. At a time when all you hear is bad stuff about insurers, they came up trumps.

The initial premiums were not cheap as they had accepted to cover for existing conditions but to me £270 to cover them both was well worth it.
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Water bills a struggle?

Find out what help's available

MSE News

Cyber Monday 2022

Avoid the hype - only spend if you were going to anyway

MSE Forum

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

40+ shows incl Disney's Frozen, The Lion King

MSE Tool