PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Any bread makers out there?

Options
I have been making my own bread now for about 6 months or so.
I use a stand mixer. I have had fairly good results mostly, my white bread efforts are good and I am happy with them. When I make wholemeal/stoneground/granary type breads they tend to come out a bit on the heavy side (still get eaten,though!)
I bought some vitamin C powder (designed for breadmaking).
The mix I used this morning,was 600g granary, 200g strong white with a tbspn olive oil, 2 tspns brown sugar, 2 tspns salt, 2 tspns instant yeast and 1/4 tsp vitamin C powder.
The two little loaves rose beautifully on the second rise and then sank in the oven (220 degs, 30 mins).

Has anyone else had any experience with vitamin C powder?
Did you get a good result?

These are by far the worst 'brown' loaves I've ever made.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Much appreciated :)

Comments

• THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I usually use half granary/ half white as find too much granary-or wholemeal flour does make for a heavier loaf.
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I make 2 loaves at a time

800g wholemeal flour
    200g white flour
    Squirt honey it's about 25/30g I think
    15g easy dried yeast
    4.5 tsp salt (thats just me I like it salty)
    3 or 4 tbspns light olive oil
    630ml approx hot water
    I usually add fruit/nuts/seeds

I make it the food mixer and make the dough quite sticky and let it rise in the tins and straight into the oven after an hour. I pour water into a hot baking tin on the bottom shelf just as it goes it for the steam to make a good crust. I find if the dough it too dry it doesn't rise much and is tasty, but heavy as a brick :D
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never used VitC. An all wholemeal loaf will be heavy. I use 500g flour and use approx 300g of wholemeal and 200g of white.

I've had the deflating in the oven scenario on occasion. When it's happened to me, it's either because the dough was too wet (I vary the amount of water used depending on the weather and how much wholemeal/white flour I'm using) or I left it to prove the second time for too long.
  • Maryanneslapcabbage
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    I've never used VitC. An all wholemeal loaf will be heavy. I use 500g flour and use approx 300g of wholemeal and 200g of white.

I've had the deflating in the oven scenario on occasion. When it's happened to me, it's either because the dough was too wet (I vary the amount of water used depending on the weather and how much wholemeal/white flour I'm using) or I left it to prove the second time for too long.

Now thinking about it,the dough was a little wet.
    Maybe that's all it was and had nothing to do with the vitamin C.

Oh well. Next time I won't be so liberal with the water!

Thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family