Finding it hard to low carb

Options

Comments

• susieq87
    susieq87 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    The trainer himself is no help with this. His great idea was that when entertaining clients who tend to be senior corporate types I should bring a Tupperware of my own food to the restaurant!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

dont go to hard on the weights because you will be turning fat into muscle meaning you wont notice any weight lost. you will probably gain weight by gaining mass but it'll be muscle instead of fat. can you not order a lighter meal when you go out?
    keep on keeping on, at least you're losing not gaining!
    Don't sweat the small stuff
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone explain the carbs in the atkins choccy bars for the UK.

I know net carb in the US are different than ours due to the seperate listing of firbre but if I buy an Atkins bar in say Tesco which Carb amount do I go by. Carbs or Net Carbs.

xxp00
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    p00 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the carbs in the atkins choccy bars for the UK.

I know net carb in the US are different than ours due to the seperate listing of firbre but if I buy an Atkins bar in say Tesco which Carb amount do I go by. Carbs or Net Carbs.

xxp00

Don't buy them. Overpriced non-food.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • Siberianski
    Siberianski Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just remember personal trainers are not always all they are cracked up to be. My brother in law started following a diet a pt gave him from the life style fitness gym chain.

The diet was the pancreas reset diet

Which basically has 3 phases too it and in short you eat high fat/oil fish no carbs in stage on. Stage 2/3/ carbs are gradually introduced. The pt did not ask my brother in laws health background, he didn't ask if he had high cholestrol which he did. The net result was my relation started getting severe headaches, his cholestrol level got worse. etc etc
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    Don't buy them. Overpriced non-food.
    any food with the name of a diet on it is always overpriced, and often highly processed junk (e.g. WW).
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Can anyone explain the carbs in the atkins choccy bars for the UK."

i agree they are rubbish and can stall your weight loss but so you know. Net carbs are the same in USA and UK its how the carb counts are shown on packaging that is different. in the Uk what show packets show are net carbs, in the US you have deduct the fibre to get the net carbs.

hope that helps
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • NatMast_2
    NatMast_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    I don't necessarily agree with low carb/no carb diets. Mainly because I love making my own artisan breads sometimes! But I have found myself eating less and less carbs and I personally feel much better in myself - then again I've always had a problem with bloating.

Luckily I've never been a big pasta or rice fan so that's not a problem. Except sushi rice...

People who go on low carb diets however, they lose weight within the first few days because of the carb/water ratio so you actually drop a chunk of water weight.

I don't know. I personally feel better but I wouldn't ever look at cutting carbs out of diet completely. Homemade rosemary and garlic foccacia...yes please!
    Does the walker choose the path or the path the walker?

Lift heavy & squat deep.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    NatMast wrote: »
    I don't necessarily agree with low carb/no carb diets. Mainly because I love making my own artisan breads sometimes! But I have found myself eating less and less carbs and I personally feel much better in myself - then again I've always had a problem with bloating.

Luckily I've never been a big pasta or rice fan so that's not a problem. Except sushi rice...

People who go on low carb diets however, they lose weight within the first few days because of the carb/water ratio so you actually drop a chunk of water weight.

I don't know. I personally feel better but I wouldn't ever look at cutting carbs out of diet completely. Homemade rosemary and garlic foccacia...yes please!

I lost 5 stone over 3 years low carbing. Others have lost much more. Its not necessarily a quick fix.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • hanfrangipane
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    I signed up for a weight loss programme at the gym a few weeks ago but am finding things hard going because their approach is paleo/low carb and I find that hard to fit in with my lifestyle.

The problem is that my job sometimes requires me to eat out with clients and my social life also sometimes involves eating food prepared by friends. So maybe 1 or 2 meals per week break the rules but this seems to be enough to stop me losing weight. In 4 weeks I have only lost about 3lbs in weight :(

I don't have masses to lose. I am about 7lb over the top weight in the range for my height and ideally maybe would like to lose a stone in total. I am working out 3 times a week cardio and weights.

With a reduced calorie diet if I had a high calorie meal I'd cut back for the rest of the day and maybe even the next day but what do low carvers do if they end up having a higher carb day or horrors some bread which the trainer seems to think is the devils food.

The trainer himself is no help with this. His great idea was that when entertaining clients who tend to be senior corporate types I should bring a Tupperware of my own food to the restaurant!

Firstly - well done on losing 3lb! 3lb is 3lb and it's in the right direction, so do not be disheartened :)

So often personal trainers who have zero training in nutrition seem to think that they can piggy back on the latest fad and dish out diet programmes to unsuspecting clients willy nilly. I am certainly not saying ALL PTs are like this, I don't wish anyone to take this the wrong way, but your post rings alarm bells since this trainer who is advising you seems unable to make any suggestions to deviate from his one size fits all approach in order to suit your own lifestyle.

Your post resonates with me as I have tried low carb and a paleo approach and I ended up going so far down the rabbit hole with it that I became totally obsessed with food, scared to eat things in case they were not 'clean' and became totally miserably and certainly within the realms of disordered eating.

You seem to have your head screwed on since you're questioning what you're being told, which is great! I'd say that ultimately, fat loss boils down to calories at a basic level. Quite often the reason that low carb works is because its v easy to overeat on carbs, so by reducing these you automatically consume less over the day. However, Paleo often promotes snacking on nuts, lots of co!!!! oil, nut butters etc and there are massively calorific. I would suggest that if you wish to stick to thisplan you'ev been given, that you keep an eye on these foods that, although healthy, can easily be overeaten.

I have reached a much healthier place with my diet nowadays - I tend to eat moderate carbs as I feel sluggish when I eat lots, get adequate protein and roughly track my calories. I eat lots of whole foods but allow myself the odd bit of processed food in order to make it flexible around my lifestyle. This means that I am relaxed regarding eating out or at friends, make good choices and get results.

Moderation isn't extreme enough to be popular nowadays, people want fancy plans but, funnily enough, it is what works!

Edited to add: I'm not anti low carbs, by the way, it works for some. I'm anti 'cookie cutter' diet plans that are dished out. find what works for YOU.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Firstly - well done on losing 3lb! 3lb is 3lb and it's in the right direction, so do not be disheartened :)
    That's very true.
    Next time you are in the supermarket, pick up three packets of sausages and look at them. Consider for a moment that they used to be on your body and they no longer are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport