Credit card points on debit balances?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Stoozing: Free Cash from Credit Cards
2 replies 1.4K views
BenBlythBenBlyth Forumite
1 Post
Hello all,

Hoping someone may be able to help me with an idea I have.

I am due to be buying a car in the next couple of months for my new job, as part of my job I will be paying out expenses which I will later claim back. I decided getting a new credit card, just for work would make sense. Looking in to all the cards, an Amex BA air miles card looks best for me. In order to boost my points I wondered about buying my car on it and paying it off instantly.

My issue is, my credit limit on the card may initially be lower than the amount of the car £4k. To get round this, does anyone know if I can pay the £4k on the card first, then buy the car and still get the benefit of the air miles for the full £4k spend?

Hope this makes sense, and thoughts much appreciated.

Ben

Replies

• MallyGirlMallyGirl Forumite, Board Guide
    5.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭
    with most cards putting the card in credit breaks your T&Cs

Will the dealer let you pay for the car by credit card? when we bought ours they would only accept credit card for the £2k deposit and then we funded the rest another way.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • You could pay the excess in cash to the dealer and then put the rest on the card.

I'd be surprised if the dealer took Amex though. I've seen a fair few dealers who take Credit Cards, but I doubt a lot of them take Amex!
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals