PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Objecting against planning permission for a new build?

Options
A notice has appeared on the lampost outside my house warning that the owners of the house next door but one from mine have applied for planning permission to build a new house in their garden.

I've been to my local council website and looked at the plans and to my horror find that my bedroom is within about 50 feet of the new build and I'll be able to see the construction going on simply by sitting up in bed.

So what I hear you ask? well the problem is that I work nights (5x 12 hour shifts per week) and they don't tend to build houses at night so clearly I'm going to be totally screwed.

I have a very stressful job and am already on prescription medicine for high blood pressure, is the fact that I work nights enough to block the planning permission being granted or do the council see me working nights as my own fault and not something that will be taken into consideration please?

Comments

• tigsly
    tigsly Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldnt have thought your work situation would affect planning

the location of the building - to yours -and how 'in keeping with the local street view' might tho?!

Is the planned hosue similar to those around it or will it really stand out as differnent.. as a local you can object i guess- but i'd be lookig at the planning portal and see on what groudsn an objection can be made and win
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't think your issue is a valid planning concern.

Take a look at this list for an idea if what is and isn't considered a valid planning concern:

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/what_is_a_valid_objection_to_a_planning_application

Invest in some earplugs?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Disturbance during construction is viewed as inevitable, and not a relevant reason for objecting to development. Often there are conditions about times for construction, but if so they're not likely to assist your situation!
  • shireknight
    shireknight Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear the only issue on that list I can see that may be a legitimate concern is traffic generation then as our road is a cul-de-sac and is already crammed with cars struggling to find places to park.

Might well be a case of needing earplugs lol -awww crap
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Have you seen the plans? The parking situation might be a valid concern but if the new build also has good off street parking and a garage it might not help anyway.
  • Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Planning consents can and do often include restrictions on the construction process. Unfortunately for you these are likely to restrict operations to normal working hours during the week.

Your personal employment arrangements can not be used to prevent the development.
  • shireknight
    Options
    I think I spotted a major flaw in the plans, the new development is being presented as having it's own off-road parking spaces however the reason for this is because these parking spaces are on the plans as being in exactly the same place as the existing houses parking spaces so clearly the existing spaces are being turned over to the new build to aid the planning application.

However if the new build gets the parking spaces then where are the vehicles (a flatbed lorry and people carrier) belonging to the tenants living in the existing property going to park?

The plans indicate that there is a parking space directly in front of the existing house however that's a lie as that is a very small front garden which even if it was paved over would be nowhere near large enough to hold one vehicle let alone what they park on the spaces at the moment.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect you will need to come up with some more objections than parking to prevent the development.
  • shireknight
    edited 9 June 2014 at 10:31PM
    Options
    Well parking and noise is all I have lol, oh well I know all the other neighbours around the proposed site are annoyed too (including the people who live in the existing house as it's their landlord who is building the new house in their back garden not them) so maybe they will come up with something else to block it with sigh.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...then where are the vehicles (a flatbed lorry and people carrier) belonging to the tenants living in the existing property going to park?
    Unless by "lorry", you really mean "van" (3.5t max), then it's very unlikely they should be parking that at home overnight anyway. Anything bigger than Transit-sized needs an Operators Licence, and that requires the vehicles to be kept in proper yards with proper access. Not outside the driver's house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure