PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Vegetables?

Options
Hi,

I live on my own and don't eat Veg everyday, so buying fresh vegetables can be expensive every few days as I waste too much

Can I freeze fresh Veg?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The way veg is frozen commercially means it keeps well and most of the vitamins are preserved. Can you stock up with frozen veg?

Otherwise, if buying smaller quantities more often isn't possible, bulk cook and freeze the spare as individual meals ready to reheat.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Roxy07 wrote: »
    Can I freeze fresh Veg?

Yes, most of it. Well actually you can freeze all fresh veg, but some of it is not good once you defrost it.

If you search there are many sites that will give you good advice on freezing fresh veg. If you live on your own it is best to portion the veg into individual portions before freezing. That way you just defrost enough for one meal at a time.

The simplest thing to do is look in the freezer next time you go to the supermarket. If they sell it frozen then you can freeze it at home.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Normally, you blanche vegetables before freezing them.
  • BaldacchinoR
    BaldacchinoR Posts: 135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blanching means bring water to the boil, add veg., boil for about 2/3 minutes, drain, drench in cold water to cool the veg quickly - the colder the water the better - you can add ice to cool it. Dry in a clean tea towel or similar, and when totally cold (not warm at all), freeze, preferably spread out on a sheet or plastic bag. When frozen, bag up - by being individually frozen, you can use as much veg. as you need at any one time.
  • DPJames
    DPJames Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options
    ?....actually you can freeze all fresh veg, but some of it is not good once you defrost it.

:rotfl: so are you saying you can freeze all fresh veg, but once thawed some of it is no good, so actually you can't freeze all fresh veg?
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DPJames wrote: »
    :rotfl: so are you saying you can freeze all fresh veg, but once thawed some of it is no good, so actually you can't freeze all fresh veg?

Yes you can freeze all fresh veg, I said that. You can also thaw all frozen veg and eat it. But some of it will not be so good to eat.

Which part of that can you not understand?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For single people, it can be cheaper/better to buy frozen veggies from the off. They're often frozen within a few hours of picking, so retain all their goodness - and you can just use the exact amount you need on demand.

Don't be fooled by the few people who think that only a fresh vegetable is a good vegetable... they're wrong.
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I freeze fresh veg, don't bother blanching them and have had no probs at all.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I freeze fresh veg, don't bother blanching them and have had no probs at all.

Me too....
  • DPJames
    DPJames Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options

Which part of that can you not understand?

:) the bit where you said you can freeze it, but afterwards it's no good. Which to me says you CAN'T freeze it because freezing it, ruins it! Or is that wrong? You're contradicting yourself, surely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure