PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style things to do with a week off work

Options
I have 2 weeks off work (2nd two weeks of June). I am going away for the second week but I am looking for ideas for things to do with my first week.

I know it sounds wonderful to have a week off work but I will be on my own and I am not always good at being on my own - I need things to keep me occupied to stop me from getting bored, eating too much, drinking too much.

I have started to make a list of things to do but wondered if anyone had any other good ideas.

Here is my list so far:-
  • Walk the dog twice a day (I have to do this anyway!)
  • Meal plan, shop and actually cook a meal each day (rather than thinking "I'll just have some toast"!)
  • Clean the oven (much needed)
  • General cleaning, bed washing, ironing etc.
  • Do some reading and perhaps visit the local library
  • Hair appointment booked for the Thursday afternoon
  • Saturday will be spent organising, packing for my holiday on Sunday
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What about doing some batch cooking for the freezer (even if it is just double the meals you cook every day)? I'd also consider washing anything that isn't normally washed like curtains, particularly if the weather is nice. For entertainment, perhaps there are local museums that are free in your area, or you could try a new craft/learn a new skill. If you make HM gifts you could either work on those or make a list and gather supplies so that it is easy to work on them in spare moments.

I'd also look into any household maintenance tasks and basic things--check smoke alarm batteries, check first aid kit supplies, schedule any repairs that you've been putting off.

And enjoy your holiday!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Find your local museum and find out something interesting about where you live. Go visit the local churchyard and find out who lived in the area before you did. Take some time out to sit in the garden and watch the wildlife that comes to visit. Wander round your local area and look at what is thriving in other peoples gardens and see if you have gaps in your borders you could fill. Go join the library if you don't already belong and find a new author while you have some time to read in peace. Go visit the local charity shops and find a treasure that someone else has discarded. Look and see if there any community projects that need volunteers the week you are off, it's a super way to meet new people in your neighbourhood but above all enjoy your week and make some 'you' time while you can!!!
  • ravingandsaving
    Options
    I'd second the local museum. Most museums are free, as are art galleries! Most country parks are free too - take a picnic for a really thrifty day out! Or the beach if the weather is nice? A bike ride? Invite friends over for a cup of tea and homemade cake? If you're on Orange they still do the 2 for 1 at the cinema on a Wednesday night. I see MSE has a sneaky loophole even if you aren't on orange customer - I can't link to it because I'm new but I'm sure you can find it if you search! ;) There are lots of things to do out of the house to make the most of your week off!
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Picnic on the beach or a country park?
    cycle ride?
    Visit local 'tourist spots'
    Museums? Art Galleries? .. lots are free for local residents to take your council tax bill/proof of addess.

I've just spent a whole week cleaning and flinging while OH played in the garden. We had a nice wander around garden centres yesterday.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • FrugalWorker
    FrugalWorker Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    - Invite friends over for super (you'll be off so will have time to cook while they're in work). Meet friends for lunch - down side of this is it costs. Some of my friends are stay at home Mum's, I love when I'm off calling over to them for coffee
    - art gallaries / museums / touristy sites - where I live a lot of this is free. While you're at it - look around and see if there are any free / cheap concerts. Do you have a local tourist office - call in and have a look and see if anything catches your eye.
    - art / craft - if you knit / sew / bake - this is a chance to learn some new skills. E.g. learn to make bread!
    - get out up the mountains / walk down the pier (clearly dependent on where you are living), but take the dog out further than you normally would with a flask of tea.
    - Paper work (I'm always behind on this one / spring clean / painting / etc... Any jobs that need to be done around the house
    - You mentioned library - my library has stuff on, craft mornings, coffee, etc... I can never join in as I'm at work :(
    - Someone suggested batch cooking, would be great to come home from holidays to a freezer full of dinners for the following week!
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Post more on MSE.
    Get crafting
    Check bank statements to see if you can cut back/cancel anything
    Gardening.
    washing
    do some surveys
    cleaning
    look for days out codes/vouchers for your holiday.
    sort out your clothes.
    batch cook
    go YS shopping
    check freebie sites
    free postcode lottery
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sort out all kitchen cupboards. (An ambition should I ever get a week sans family! Everything out of date, or of interest, off to whomever can put it to use.)
    Scrub bathroom til it gleams (for the novelty in my case - 3 sons...)
    Blitz one room a day taking the discards to the tip/charity shop/freecycle/eBay according to inclinations.
    Visit the library & find 3 free things to do or try, there or locally.
    Defrost freezer, then batch cook to fill any gaps.
    Drop in on a knit & natter event? (It would take me the full week to figure how to turn a heel, even with a platoon of patient teachers!.)

Failing that, visit beaches, rivers, reservoirs & just gawk at the water & its denizens.
    Sleep in a bit & enjoy the break!
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe get further afield and grab a bus somewhere new? Have a look and see what day trips are available with local bus/coach companies - sometimes they're a real bargain and you get to relax there and back.

I just love being at home as I have a lot of hobbies but a simple walk yesterday took me a to village church that I'd never visited before, I spent a good hour taking photos, looking at grave stones and just enjoying the fresh air.

We have quite a good creative element to our local town and there's always a exhibition, walk, talk, or workshop going on somewhere. Great way of meeting new local people too.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My current list includes:

Upcycling an old bench I found in the basement (including making a top cushion for it)
    Make Xmas present quilts
    De-clutter my flat & clear out cupboards
    Ebay my unwanted clothes/household goods
    Go back to yoga!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • ravingandsaving
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    My current list includes:

Upcycling an old bench I found in the basement (including making a top cushion for it)
    Make Xmas present quilts
    De-clutter my flat & clear out cupboards
    Ebay my unwanted clothes/household goods
    Go back to yoga!

That's on my list: ebaying unwanted clothes, and decluttering the flat! Both things are impossible with the family around!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure